- Biographical Sketch of William Jackson - son of John.
[WILLIAM JACKSON, the third of the name, and the son of John Jackson, was born Nov. 7, 1789. He was a pupil at Friendsí institution at Westtown, and in October, 1808, entered Enoch Lewisí boarding-school at New Garden as a student of mathematics. His literary attainments were respectable, and his progress in mathematical science, to the study of which the character of his mind was well adapted, was rapid. About the time that he attained majority, his father, who desired leisure for the indulgence of his botanical tastes in the cultivation of his beautiful garden, committed to him the management of his farm; of which, on his fatherís death, he became the owner. Though diligent in business as an agriculturist, he did not allow his avocations to engross his whole time or attention. He took a deep interest in every movement of a public or philanthropic character. Though he was well acquainted with the principles of our government, and with those which regulate the distribution of wealth and the increase of population, and in many respects was well qualified for usefulness in public life, he was not a politician in the baser sense of the word, and regarded popularity and the honors of office with equal indifference. Much to his surprise, he was in the year 1838 placed on the ticket of the Anti-Masonic party, with which he had slight affiliation, and elected a member of the State Senate. He served his term with credit, and was highly esteemed in that body for his integrity, intelligence, and accuracy of judgment, and whenever he spoke he commanded attention by the clearness of his statements and the cogency of his reasoning. But he was not a partisan, and could not manage or be managed, and his single term in the Senate was his whole experience in political life.
The anti-slavery movement enlisted his warmest sympathies, and he was for many years actively engaged in the promulgation of its principles. To his sense of justice, indeed, slavery was always abhorrent, and from his early youth he was a zealous advocate of emancipation.
His favorite study was that of social science, in which he was a disciple of Malthus and Adam Smith. He delivered at various times lectures on subjects connected with political economy, in which he advocated strongly the soundness of the Malthusian philosophy. He was a calm, clear reasoner and an accurate thinker, deliberate and unimpassioned, without a touch of enthusiasm or coloring of imagination, seeking truth by the most direct processes, and never bewildered in the pursuit by false lights, however brilliant or dazzling. His judgment was eminently judicial. He approached his conclusions by slow and cautious steps uninfluenced by his wishes or his hopes.
In the branch of the Society of Friends to which he was attached he was repeatedly chosen clerk of the Monthly and Quarterly Meetings, for which positions he was peculiarly well fitted by the habitual calmness of his temperament and the cool impartiality of his judgment.
It is hardly necessary to add that in domestic life the traditional kindness of the Jackson nature was not wanting in him. In all family relations he was the pattern of a Christian gentleman. He died in the year 1864, universally lamented, and leaving behind him the record of a well-spent life.]
- Biographical Sketch of William M. Rennard.
["WILLIAM M. RENNARD, a well-known farmer of Tredyffrin township, residing near Chester Valley postoffice, where he has lived since 1876, is the eldest son of Henry and Prudence (Miller) Rennard. He was born at Valley Forge, Schuylkill township, this county, on September 23, 1834, and lived for a time in Willistown township, and later resided in Charlestown township. On October 16, 1863, he enlisted in Co. K, 175th Pennsylvania infantry, at Philadelphia, and served in the army until August, 1864, when he was honorably discharged in the same city. He participated in a number of skirmishes and minor engagements in southern North Carolina and elsewhere. In 1876 Mr. Rennard removed to Tredyffrin township, where he owns a fine farm of ninety acres of valuable land, eighty acres of which are improved and the other ten covered by timber. In political faith he has always been a republican, and gives his party a loyal support on all leading questions, though taking little part in the exciting contests that so frequently convulse the body politic. On the 6th of March, 1878, he was united in marriage to Sallie Little, a daughter of Major Little, of Charlestown township.
"The Rennards are of German extraction, and rank among the old families of this section. Jacob Rennard (paternal grandfather) was a native of Schuylkill township, this county, where he spent a long and active life.
He owned one hundred acres of fine land, and was a successful farmer. Politically he was an old-line whig, as his ancestors had been, and he married Mary Walters, by whom he had a family of eight children: Joseph, Jacob, Adam, Mary, who married Joseph Gamble; Rachel, wedded Jonathan Major; Susan, who became the wife of Matthew Ross; Rebecca, who married Richard Joyce; and Henry. They are all now deceased except Rachel and Jacob.
"Henry Rennard (father) was born in Schuylkill township in 1805, where he grew to manhood and was educated. He was proprietor of the Valley Forge hotel for three years, and then removed to Tredyffrin township, and later to Willistown township. In the latter he resided for a number of years, but returned to Tredyffrin township about 1858, and died there in 1882, at the advanced age of seventy-eight years. He was essentially a farmer, though he engaged in other enterprises occasionally, and was an ardent whig in politics. He served as school director for a number of years, and also for a time as township auditor, beside occupying other local offices. He was a prominent member of the Great Valley Presbyterian church, and married Prudence Miller, a daughter of James Miller, of West Vincent township. They were the parents of eleven children, six sons and five daughters: Mary, William M., Henry C., deceased; J. Harrison, served in the army for nine months in 1862, taking part in the battle of Antietam, and is now a resident of West Chester, where he is serving as county commissioner, being also school director of Tredyffrin township one term; Hilborn D., a farmer of that township; Winfield S., employed in the office of the Wabash Railroad Company at Chicago, Illinois; Amanda, the widow of Joseph Roberts, lives at West Chester, this county; Emma J.; Tamzine A., and Theresa, who wedded David Morgan, and resides at Ardmore, Montgomery county, this State.
"Henry C. Rennard (brother), enlisted in the army at West Chester in November, 1861, and after participating in a number of engagements in Virginia and Florida, was severely wounded in the left thigh at Bermuda
Hundred. He was a member of the 97th regiment, commanded by Colonel Guss."]
- Biographical Sketch of William Marshall Woodward.
["William Marshall Woodward, a prosperous farmer and liveryman of the borough of West Chester, and a representative of one of the oldest families in the Commonwealth, is a son of Thomas S. and Mary B. (Worth) Woodward, and was born August 4, 1820, in West Bradford township, Chester county, Pennsylvania. The Woodwards are of English descent, and trace their American ancestry back to Richard and Robert Woodward, brothers, who were prominent citizens of Chester county as early as 1687. From a genealogy of the family compiled by Lewis Woodward, M.D., of Carroll county, Maryland, it is learned that in 1888 the descendants of these brothers numbered nine hundred and seventy-four, extending through eight generations and scattered over several States.
The line of descent from (1) Richard Woodward to the subject of this sketch is traced through (2) Richard, the son of Richard, who married Esther Davis in 1695, by whom he had twelve children, among whom was (3) William (great-grandfather), who wedded Eliza Marshall and reared a family of four sons and two daughters, one of the sons being (4) William (grandfather), who was born August 8, 1743. After attaining manhood he became a country storekeeper, and later in life purchased a farm in West Bradford township, near Marshallton, where he spent the remainder of his days, dying in October, 1825. He was successful and prosperous, both as a merchant and a farmer, and was twice married, first to Lydia Lewis and after her death to Elizabeth Stalker, by whom he had one son, (5) Thomas S. (father), who was born February 9, 1795, in Chester county, and who on January 23, 1817, married Mary B. Worth, a daughter of Samuel Worth, a prosperous farmer of this county, who was of English descent and a representative of one of the oldest families in this section. To them were born nine children, the second being (6) William Marshall Woodward, the subject of
this sketch. Thomas S. Woodward, being an only child, inherited all his father's estate, including the homestead in West Bradford township. Here he passed most of his life, owning some three hundred acres of fine land and being a highly prosperous farmer. He died March 20, 1868 in his seventy-fifth year, his wife surviving until August 25, 1877. He was a whig and republican in politics, and a member of the orthodox Society of Friends, as was his wife. He served in several township offices during the course of his life, and occupied a high place in the esteem of his neighbors and all who knew him.
William Marshall Woodward was reared on the old homestead near Marshallton, receiving his early education in the common schools and supplementing that by a course of instruction at a well known boarding school. He was engaged in agricultural pursuits exclusively until his forty-fourth year, and came to be numbered among the most prosperous farmers in East Bradford township. In 1864 he sold his farm, and removing to West Chester, engaged in the livery business. For a period of four years, he conducted this enterprise successfully, and then purchased a large farm in Pennsburg township, this county, and once more devoted his attention to the cultivation of the soil. He continued his farming operations until 1875, when he returned to the borough of West Chester and again embarked in the livery business, which he has continued ever since. He has the largest and most completely equipped stables in the borough, with fine horses and a large number of elegant buggies and carriages.
In 1852, Mr. Woodward was united in marriage to Esther P., daughter of John and Hannah James, of East Bradford township. The have no children, but a step-son, Alvin Garrett. Mr. Woodward is a regular attendant of the Friends' church in this city, and a member of the Goodwill Fire Company. He has been a life-long republican and has been called to fill a number of the township offices. He is an intelligent gentleman and keeps well posted on current events."]
- Biographical Sketch of William Mock.
["WILLIAM MOCK, a prosperous, well known and greatly respected farmer residing near Anselma, is the youngest son of Levi and Mary (Hipple) Mock, and was born February 16, 1835, in West Vincent township, Chester county, Pennsylvania. Here he was reared and educated, and in this township has passed most of his life, entirely engaged in agricultural pursuits. He owns a valuable little farm, consisting of fifty-six acres of choice land, all well improved, and he has been very successful. Politically Mr. Mock is a democrat, and he and his family are members of the Vincent Baptist church.
"On June 7, 1858, Mr. Mock was united in holy matrimony with Mary E. Stietler, a daughter of Henry Stietler, a prosperous farmer of West Vincent township. To them was born a family of six children, all sons: Vincent S., now deceased; Joseph A., also dead; Harry S., a machinist, who married Zenith Osbon, and now resides in the city of Reading; Lewis, deceased; and Maurice F., living at home.
"The Mocks are one of the families that were early planted in this State, where it has become quite numerous. Peter Mock, paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a life-long resident of West Vincent township, and died at his home there at an advanced age. He was a carpet weaver by trade, but owned a farm and devoted part of his time to its cultivation and to stock raising. In politics he was a democrat and became widely known for his fearless advocacy of the principles of his party, though he did this so good naturedly as never to make personal enemies among his political foes. He married and reared a family consisting of six sons and a daughter, all of whom are now deceased, except the youngest son, William.
"Levi Mock (father) was born in West Vincent township, where he grew to manhood and received a good common school education. After leaving school he learned the trade of carpenter, and followed that occupation most of his life. He died at his home in this county at a good old age. Like his father he was a stanch democrat in politics, loyal to his political convictions alike in victory or defeat. In religious faith he was a Baptist, and for many years an active and influential member of that church. He married Mary Hipple, of this county, and to their union was born a family of sons and daughters: Davis, Perry, Lewis (deceased), John, Sylvester, William, the subject of this sketch; Sophia and Rosanna."]
- Biographical Sketch of William Ralston.
[William Ralston, a prosperous farmer and mill owner of Matthews, this county, who is now practically retired from active business, is the fourth son of Robert and Catherine (Christman) Ralston and a native of West Vincent Township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, where he was born August 20, 1820. The Ralstons came originally from the north of Ireland, the family being planted on the American continent by John Ralston, a native of north Ireland, who was in the battle of Boyne Water, under King William, July 1, 1690, and emigrated to America in August, 1728, settling in Pikeland (now West Pikeland) township, Chester county, Pennsylvania. With him came his son, Robert Ralston, who was born in Ireland, October 3, 1722.
The latter became prominent in this county, and served several years as a member of the State legislature, dying at his home in Pikeland Township, February 19, 1814. His son John Ralston (grandfather) was born in Vincent (now West Vincent) township, this county, November 4, 1744. When the war of the Revolution burst on the colonies he took an active part in defense of American rights, serving in the Continental army, first as captain and later as colonel of a regiment. When General Washington removed his headquarters from Yellow Springs to Reading he sent for Captain Ralston, who was then at home on a furlough putting in his crops, and requested him to pilot the command part of the way. The captain consented and escorted Washington as far as the falls of French creek, where another pilot was procured and Captain Ralston returned home. During the war his house was burned by the British, and he was three times compelled to secrete himself in a barn to avoid being captured by the enemy, he was a farmer by occupation, and a democrat in politics.
After the revolutionary struggle ended he was appointed justice of the peace, and for forty-one years discharged the complicated duties of that office in an able, intelligent and successful manner. He became a member of the county court in November, 1784, and occupied that position continuously until the constitution of 1790 went into effect, and on August 26, 1791, was again commissioned a justice of the peace by Governor Mifflin. April 7, 1802, he was appointed by Governor McKean as an associate judge of the courts of this county, ties of which office he performed with singular fidelity during the last twenty-three years of his life. He died at his home, on the property now occupied by John Ralston in West Vincent Township, September 1, 1825, in the eighty-first year of his age, and his remains were entombed at St. Peter's church in Chester valley. He married Catharine Miller, and had five sons and two daughters: Robert, father; William, married Mary Heffelfinger in 1805, and died in 1825; John, James; Mary, married John Bingaman, and, after his decease, wedded Henry Rimby; Catharine, became the wife of Samson Davis; and George. Robert Ralston (father) was born on the old Ralston homestead, in West Vincent Township, this county, April 19, 1778, where he grew to maturity and received an ordinary English education. After attaining his majority he engaged in farming, which continued to be his principal occupation through life, though he was also engaged in distilling for a time and in various other enterprises. Politically he was a democrat and took an active interest in the success of his party. He married Catharine Christman, a daughter of George Christman, of Pikeland, and to them was born a family of eight children, four sons and four daughters: George, deceased; John, also dead; Robert; William, whose name heads this sketch; Elizabeth, deceased; Mariah, married Henry Buckwalter; Sophia, now dead; and Catharine, who became the wife of Isaac Evans.
William Ralston grew to manhood in West Vincent township, this county, receiving a good English education in the public schools of his vicinity, and has spent all his life here, engaged principally in agricultural pursuits. He owns a large farm containing two hundred and fifty acres, two hundred of which are well improved, the balance being valuable woodland. His farm buildings are substantial and commodious, and he is a fine type of the independent American farmer. In political sentiment Mr. Ralston has always been a democrat, believing firmly in equal rights and exact justice to all, and special privileges to none.
On January 16, 1857, the subject of this sketch was united in marriage with Sarah Mosteller, a daughter of Henry Mosteller, a prosperous farmer of West Vincent Township, this county. To Mr. and Mrs. Ralston was born a family of three children, two sons and a daughter: H. F. Ralston, who married Ella Paul, a daughter of Jacob Paul, of West Vincent township, and now resides with his father and operates the home farm; Annie, who became the wife of Clifford Emery, a farmer of this township; and William E., living at home with his parents and running a feed and saw mill owned by his father. Mrs. Sarah Ralston was born January 18, 1826, grew to womanhood and was educated in her native township, and is a member of the Lutheran church.]
- Biographical Sketch of William Royal.
[ROYAL, William: Born: 6 February 1820, in Middletown, OH; Married: 20 February 1845,Eunice Emeline WITHROW (1825 - 9 June 1906 near Dayton, IN); Died: 11 May 1894 near Dayton, IN; Parents: Thomas ROYAL (1791-1867) and Catharine WEIDNER/WIDENER (1788-1859); Siblings: John and Thomas, about whom more below, and Elizabeth and Amanda,about whom little is known; Children: ANNA Priscilla, Catherine Jane (JENNY), Mary Josephine (JOSE), Elizabeth Frances (FAN), Samuel Thomas (SAM), James Albert (JIM), Ellen Alvaretta (ELLA), JULIA Alice, Clara Candace (PET), William Stanley (WILL) , and Charles Edgar (ED);Occupation: farmer; Other information: William Royal purchased land in Sheffield Township,Tippecanoe County, Indiana in November 1846 and brought his family here in the spring of 1847. In 1848 he sold two tracts to his brother John, who brought his family to Indiana about that time. A third brother, Thomas, and his family arrived in Indiana about 1849. By 1850 Thomas was living near his brothers in Sheffield Township, although he did not purchase land in the township until 1854. The three brothers and their wives seem to have come to this area because they had other relatives here, in particular Moses Graft, the uncle of William's wife, Eunice, and John's wife, Jane (who were sisters). Other relatives soon followed, including the parents of the brothers. William and John were successful farmers, interested in applying the latest scientific methods and investing in the latest equipment, and in addition, they speculated in real estate. Thomas, Sr.,'s father,Thomas Royal, was born in England. William and Eunice Royal and several of their children moved to Fowler, Kansas, in 1885. About 1892, ill health forced William to retire from farming. He and Eunice returned to Sheffield Township to live with their daughter Julia Alice and her husband William Henry Frantz, on a farm south of Dayton, where William died in 1894, and Eunice died in 1906.
Sources: Manuscript left by Rev. William Royal, son of Thomas Royal I; Delaware
Archives, vol. 1: Military, 5 vols.,
Wilmington, DE: Star, 1911, pp. 70-73;
Federal censuses of Ohio and Indiana;
Early Marriage Records of Butler County, OH, vol. 3: 1845-47,
Hamilton, OH:Butler Co. Hist. Society/DAR of Ohio, 1940;
Marriage certificate, William Royal and Eunice Withrow;
History and Biographical Cyclopaedia of Butler County, Ohio,
Cincinnati, OH: Western Biographical Publishing Co., 1882;
Lafayette (IN) Courier;
Lafayette (IN) Journal;
Land records,Tippecanoe County, IN, Recorder's Office;
Power, John Carroll, History of the Early Settlers,Sangamon County, Illinois, Springfield, IL: Wilson and Co., 1876; Virkus, Frederick A., Abridged
Compendium of American Genealogy, 7 vols., Chicago: Virkus and Co., 1925-;
Wills of Samuel Withrow and Abraham Graft, Butler Co., OH, probate records;
Maps of Sheffield Township,Tippecanoe County, IN: 1850 Plat, 1866 wall map, 1878 Atlas;
Tippecanoe County Genealogical Association, Alameda McCollough Library, Lafayette, IN;
Dayton, IN, Cemetery, tombstone inscriptions;
- Biographical Sketch of William V. Morrow.
[William V. Morrow, Who is engaged in the transfer business and carrying the mail in La Rose, Illinois, is a native of the buckeye state, his birth occurring in Jackson County, July 28, 1847. His father, Abraham Morrow, was born in Washington County, Pennsylvania, of scotch-Irish ancestry, the great-grandfather of our subject coming over to this country from the north of Ireland at an early day and settling in Pennsylvania, of which state John Morrow, the Grandfather was a native. The mother of our subject, who bore the maiden name of Mary Meredith, was a native of Guernsey County, Ohio, and a daughter of George Meredith, whose father had come to the new world from Wales in Colonial Days, and was an officer in the American Army in both the Revolution and the War of 1812. The Maternal grandmother of our subject is also of Irish parentage.
When a small boy, William V. Morrow was taken by his parents to Guernsey County, Ohio, and in August 1863 accompanied them to Richland county, Illinois. During the dark days of the Rebellion he manifested his loyalty and patriotism by three times enlisting in the union army, but was twice rejected on account of his age. He finally was accepted, but the war ended before his company was fully made up.
In November, 1864, he came to La Rose, Illinois, and has since engaged in his present business. On the 18th of July, 1866, Mr. Morrow led to the alter Miss Martha A Perry, a daughter of William Perry, of Washburn, Illinois, who at an early day came from Kentucky and settled in Marshall county, Illinois. Four children have been born of this union, namely: Frank, who died at the age of twenty years; Fred; Minnie, now the wife of John Kerrick, of Libertyville, Iowa; and Elta, wife of Ora Spangler, of Belle Plain Township, by whom she has one son Lester.
Mr. Morrow has served his fellow citizens in various official positions, including those of school director and highway commissioner, which he filled for several years; for sixteen years has been justice of the peace, and county coroner since 1892. He is prompt and faithful in the discharge of every duty whether public or private, and has proved a most popular and capable officer. Fraternally he affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America and Knights of Pythias, and religiously he and his excellent wife are earnest members of the Presbyterian Church. They are widely and favorably known throughout this section of the county, and enjoy the friendship of a wide circle of acquaintances.]
- Biographical Sketch of Willis Lyman Wilkinson.
[Willis Lyman Wilkinson, whose services as warden of the county poorhouse in Munson Township are most acceptable, was born in Tiskilwa, Bureau County, Illinois, September 21, 1861. In the paternal line he comes of an old New England family, his grandfather having been George Wilkinson, a native of Rhode Island. He was a farmer in early life but for years conducted a hotel in Tiskilwa. He died at the age of sixty years or more. His widow, Mrs. Julia Wilkinson, long survived him and passed away when eighty-five years of age.
Lyman Wilkinson, the father of W. L. Wilkinson, was born in Pennsylvania and was reared to farm life but in early manhood learned the carpenter's trade. Removing westward to Illinois he settled first in Bureau County and lived for a number of years at Tiskilwa, where he followed carpentering. He afterward became superintendent of the county poor farm, occupying that position for two years and in 18/2 removed to Henry County where he capably filled the position of superintendent of the poor farm for thirty-four years. No higher testimonial of his efficiency in that position could be given than the
fact that he was so long retained in the office. He was a soldier of the Civil war, belonging to the Ninety-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry in which he served as first lieutenant while his brother, Orrin Wilkinson, was captain. He participated in the siege of Vicksburg, in the battle of Shiloh and in many other important engagements of the war, never faltering in his allegiance to the old flag when it led him to the firing line or when he followed it on the long, hard marches of the campaign. His political support was given to the Republican Party, and both he and his wife were Episcopalians in religious faith.
He wedded Emmeline Stevens, a native of New Hampshire and a daughter of Thomas Stevens, who was likewise born in the old Granite state. He was a farmer by occupation and became one of the first settlers of Bureau county, Illinois. He was twice married and lived to an old age. The death of Lyman
Wilkinson occurred on the Henry county poor farm in 1906, when he was seventy-two years of age, he being still in charge of the institution up to the time of his demise. His wife died in 1898 at the age of sixty-three years. They had but three children: George T" now living in Pueblo, Colorado; Willis L.;
and Bert Henry, who died at the age of twenty-two years.
Willis L. Wilkinson was a lad of ten years when his father took charge of the Henry county poor farm. He attended the public schools of Tiskilwa, Illinois, and also the district schools of Munson township, while later he pursued a course in a business college at Davenport, Iowa. He was his father's assistant at the poor farm and also conducted a farm of one hundred and sixty-seven acres in Munson township near Cambridge. After his fathers death he became his successor and thus has charge of three hundred and twenty acres of land which is devoted to general farming purposes, while the house has sixty inmates. He manages the place with the same ability and enterprise which he would display in the control of private business affairs and, like his father, has sustained an unassailable reputation in his connection with the poor farm.
On the 17th of June, 1886, Mr. Wilkinson was united in marriage to Miss Ethel Lambert, a daughter of William and Milda (Britton) Lambert. Mrs. Wilkinson is a native of Geneseo and her mother was born in Phenix township, Henry county, but her father was a native of England. He became one of the early settlers of Henry county and was well known as a scenic and house painter. He lives with his daughter at the present time, his wife having died in 1904 when fifty-eight years of age. They had seven children, but only two are now living-Mrs. Wilkinson and Howard B. Lambert, of Clyde, New York. The paternal grandfather of Mrs. Wilkinson was William Lambert, a native of England who came to America in 1834 and settled in Rochester, New York. He removed to Michigan and then to Illinois, but spent his last days in Michigan where he died at the age of more than seventy years. The maternal grandfather was Frank Britton, a native of Kentucky and a farmer by occupation.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Wilkinson was blessed with two children, Mabel, now the wife of Howard H. Withrow, a resident farmer of Phenix Township; and Elon, who is a student in the Geneseo high school. Mrs. Wilkinson belongs to the Congregational church and is greatly esteemed in the county where she has always lived. Mr. Wilkinson belongs to Stewart Lodge, No. 92, A. F. & A. M.; Geneseo Chapter, No. 12, R. A. M.; Rock Island Commandery, No. 18, K. T.; and Kaaba Temple of the Mystic Shrine. His political support is given to the republican party, but he neither seeks nor desires office as the reward for party fealty. The record which he has made in connection with his official service is most commendable and he is regarded as a man in every way worthy of the trust reposed in him. Both he and his wife have many good qualities and are greatly esteemed in the social circles of the town.]
- Biographical Sketch of Willison W. Morrow.
[WILLISON W. MORROW, Treasurer of State, was born in Guernsey county, Ohio, January 4, 1850, his parents being natives of Pennsylvania. His early life was passed in the place of his birth. He removed with his father's family in August, 1864, to Iowa, locating near Afton, in Union county. The land upon which the family settled in 1864 is a part of the farm now owned by Mr. Morrow. He was educated in the public schools of Afton, graduating from the high school. Was married in December, 1870, to Miss M.E. Roberts, but has no children living. Although Mr. Morrow has always taken an active interest in public affairs, he has held but few offices. He represented Union county in the Twenty-third and Twenty-fourth General Assemblies, and was a member of the board of directors of the State Fair Association for eight years, serving one year as vice-president, and for four years of the Association's most prosperous period was president of the board.
Mr. Morrow has devoted his time and energies exclusively to farming and stock raising. He owns and personally manages a finely improved and highly cultivated farm of seven hundred and sixty acres, located about one mile from the city of Afton, in Union county. His residence is in the city of Afton. He was elected Treasurer of State in 1906 and re-elected in 1908. He is a Republican in politics.]
- Biographical Sketch of Wilmar Griffith.
["WILMAR GRIFFITH, a prosperous farmer now serving as assessor and constable of Uwchlan township, is the second child and eldest son of Charles N. and Martha E. (Phillips) Griffith, and was born in Uwchlan township, Chester county, Pennsylvania, February 12, 1846. He was reared on his father's farm and received a superior English education in the public schools of his township. After leaving school he learned the trade of carpenter and followed this occupation some six years, when he abandoned it to engage in farming. Since 1888 he has managed the home farm, and being energetic and industrious, as well as possessing a good degree of business ability, he has been quite successful in agricultural pursuits. In his political affiliations Mr. Griffith has always been a republican, and is now serving as assessor and constable of his township, which positions he has filled since 1889, when he was appointed thereto by the court. He has also been called on frequently to serve on the election board of his district. He is a leading member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Pughtown, and has been president and secretary of its board of trustees for a number of years.
"On the 10th of February, 1868, Mr. Griffith was united in marriage to Rebecca Mitchner, of South Coventry township, this county. To them has been born a family of three children, two sons and a daughter: Martha, Lewis and Charles, all of whom are living at home with their parents. Mrs. Griffith is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
"Charles N. Griffith, father of the subject of this sketch, was born in West Vincent township, Chester county, in 1820. He removed to Uwchlan township in 1854, and died at his home here in September, 1887, aged sixty-seven years. He was a man of unusual energy, and in defiance of adverse circumstances in early life, went to work to make a career for himself, and ultimately became a useful, influential and honored citizen. He had few educational advantages, but by careful reading and close study educated himself in the ordinary English branches, and later learned surveying and conveyancing. He was what is frequently termed a self-made man, having depended on his own unaided efforts from the start. He became well posted on all general topics, especially on history and the bible. By occupation he was a farmer, and first purchased
forty-two acres of fine land in Uwchlan township, to which he afterward added a farm of fifty-four acres - where his son Wilmar now lives - and still later purchased an additional tract of timber land. Politically he was a whig until just before the civil war when he became a republican. He always took an active interest in political matters and became influential in the local councils of his party. He was elected to the position of justice of the peace in Uwchlan township in 1860, and served in that office continuously for a period of twenty-eight years. He was also school director for a long time, and served as county auditor one term. He was frequently a delegate to the county conventions of his party, and was a man who won and held the respect and esteem of all who knew him. In 1866 he was appointed revenue collector for this district and served for some time. He was frequently called as a juror in the supreme court. In religious faith he was a Baptist, and served for many years as a deacon and secretary of Windsor Baptist church. He married Martha E. Phillips, and to their union was born a family of six children, three sons and three daughters: Cecelia, married Oliver Channell, a cigar dealer in West Chester; Wilmar, whose name heads this sketch; Emerson, who
graduated from the military academy at West Point in 1868, served twenty years in the regular army, first as lieutenant and later being promoted to the rank of captain, but resigned in 1888, and together with his wife, Bessie Irwin, now resides at West Chester in retirement; Daniel, who married Emma Trace and now lives at Pottstown, Montgomery county; Joanna, wedded John Hanson, an employee of the Pottstown Iron Company; and Mary, formerly a teacher in the public schools of Philadelphia, in which city she still resides."]
- Biographical Sketches. Town of Summit. Waukesha County, Wisconsin.
- Biography. Allen County, Kentucky Genealogy. 1991 Monthly Picture - December.
- Biography. American News. 03 Nov 2006.
- Biography. Biographical Sketch of Matthew M. Huling.
- Biography. Genealogy Online.