- Biographical Sketch of Levi P. Merickle.
[LEVI P. MERICKLE, farmer, Secs. 27 and 28; P. O. Summit Center; was born in the town of Lobo, Canada West, in 1815; he spent much of his early life on a farm in Canada till 1836, when he came to the State of Michigan, and spent the winter; in June, 1836, he came to the town of Summit, Waukesha Co., Wis., and worked for Mr. Dousman one and a half years, then made a squatter's claim to the farm on which he now lives; his mother dying Oct. 8, 1835, his father and other members of the family joined him in Summit, in 1839, and made that their home till 1846, whence they removed to Dodge Co., where he died in 1870. Mr. L. P. Merickle was married in Summit, May 10, 1840, to Miss Phebe J., daughter of Richard and Jane Hardell, a native of Lincolnshire, Eng., born in 1819; they made their home on the farm in Summit till 1861, then removed to Dodge Co., whence, in 1863, they went to Blue Earth Co., Minn., where he continued farming till 1880; in January of that year, he returned to the old farm in Summit; their children are Elen A., now the wife of B. T. Ellis, and lives in McHenry Co., Ill.; Josephine E., now Mrs. George Webster, and lives in Lac-qui-Parle Co., Minn.; William W., who married Sarah Youngs, and lives in Blue Earth Co., Minn.; Abbie J., now the wife of William Youngs, of Blue Earth Co., Minn.; Anna J. and Emma W., at home. Mr. and Mrs. M. are members of the Seventh Day Advent Church.]
- Biographical Sketch of Lewis C. Brownback.
[LEWIS C. BROWNBACK. The pioneer ancestor of the Brownback family, represented in the present generation by Lewis C. Brownback, a representative agriculturist of East Vincent township, Chester county, Pennsylvania, was Garrett Brownback, originally written Gerhard Brumbach, a native of Wurtemberg, Germany, who sailed on the vessel "Concord" from Amsterdam, October 6, 1683, and settled in Germantown, Pennsylvania; he assisted in the erection of the first house in that locality. In 1734 he changed his place of residence to the vicinity of Bethel church, Chester county, was the proprietor of the first tavern on the north side of the Lancaster pike, and in 1736 purchased one thousand acres of land partly in Vincent and partly in Coventry townships. He was the founder of Brownback's German Reformed church, which was built by him of logs in 1741 on a portion of his property. He married Mary Pepen, daughter of Howard and Elizabeth (Rittenhouse) Pepen, and they reared a family of six children, two sons - Benjamin and henry - and four daughters. Garret Brownback died at the advanced age of ninety-six years and his remains were interred in the cemetery connected with the church he founded.
The line of descent from the immigrant ancestor is as follows: Benjamin Brownback (great-great-grandfather) succeeded his father as proprietor of the tavern: he was twice married, his first wife having been Mary (Paul) Brownback, who bore him three sons - Hem, John and Edward. His second wife was Rachel (Parker) Brownback, who, after his death, which occurred April 15, 1837, was robbed and murdered but no clue to the assassin was ever obtained.
Henry Brownback (great-grandfather) was born in East Coventry township, Chester county, about 1733, resided there throughout the many years of his useful life and his death occurred July 30, 1804, in the seventy-second year of his age. He followed the occupation of a farmer, was a public-spirited and influential citizen of the community, and a member of the German Reformed church. Henry Brownback and his wife, Magdalena (Paul) Brownback, daughter of John Paul, who died in 1766, were the parents of five children - John, Peter, Benjamin, Annie Snyder and Susanna Prizer Brownback.
Peter Brownback (grandfather) was a native of East Coventry township, the date of his birth having been October 3, 1764. He flowed the same vocation as his father, that of farming, was a member of the state militia for a number of years and served during the great "whisky insurrection" in western Pennsylvania. He married Susannah De Frain, a daughter of Peter De Frain, and their children were: Peter, Jesse and John Brownback. Mr. Brownback died July 9, 1834: his wife died December 12, 1853.
Jesse Brownback (father) was born March 18, 1807, in East Coventry township, Chester county, and was reared, educated and passed his entire life-time in that section of the state. His church relations were with the German Reformed denomination, and his political affiliations were with the Democratic party. On December 27, 1832, he married Elizabeth Christman, daughter of Jacob Christman, and they were the parents of the following named children - Theodore, died December 7, 1842; Edith, who married Nathan Yager; Jacob C.: Penrose Wyle; Garrett E.; Clementine, who became the wife of Samuel Stauffer; Annie, who became the wife of Franklin Stauffer; Martha, who became the wife of Penrose Beerbower; they reside in Nebraska; Frederick H., a resident of Montana; Margaret C., who became the wife of Washington Setzler, and four children were born to them: and Lewis C. Brownback. The father of these children died August 3, 1899, aged ninety-two years, and the mother passed away June 21, 1853, aged forty-one years.
Lewis C. Brownback was born in East Coventry township, Chester county, Pennsylvania, January 29, 1837. After acquiring a common school education he assisted his father with the management of the family estate, working on shares for six years, and on May 12, 1874, he removed to a farm in East Vincent township which was the property of his father-in-law, George Grubb. After the death of Mr. Grubb, which occurred August 31, 1874, the farm which consists of eighty-one acres of rich and arable land, all highly improved and cultivated, became the property of Mrs. Brownback. Here he conducted extensive operations which proved very successful and remunerative. He is an active member of the German Reformed church, and a Republican in politics.
On April 30, 1868, Mr. Brownback married Myra M. Grubb, who was born in East Coventry township, Chester county, Pennsylvania, February 13, 1843, daughter of George and Mariah Grubb, of Frederick township, Montgomery county. Four children were born of this union - George G., born in Chester county, July 23, 1872, resides at home and is a farmer by occupation; Jennie Manola, born in Chester county, August 26, 1874, died February 6, 1875; Emma E., born in Chester county, November 6, 1876, unmarried; and Louis Marvin, born in Chester county, January 6, 1880, a farmer by occupation.
The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Brownback were George and Barbara (Shettler) Moore, both natives of Montgomery county. Myra M. Brownback, wife of Lewis C. Brownback, attended the township schools until she was thirteen years of age, the following two years was a student at the Frederick Institute, Montgomery county, and then entered the Oakdale Seminary of Pughton, Chester county, where she remained until she was seventeen years of age. The following year she returned to Frederick Institute and then went to Philadelphia, and for three and a half years was engaged in dressmaking, millinery and fancy work, after which she returned to her home in Chester county, where she now resides faithfully fulfilling the duties of wife and mother.]
- Biographical Sketch of Lewis C. Brownback (1893); Chester County, PA.
["LEWIS C. BROWNBACK, a highly esteemed farmer residing in the vicinity of Stonaker, this county, is a representative of an old and honored German family that has become numerous in Chester county. He is a son of Jesse and Elizabeth (Christman) Brownback, and was born January 29, 1837, in East Coventry township, Chester county, Pennsylvania. He was reared on his father's farm in that township, and attended the public schools of his neighborhood, where he received a good practical education. He married at the age of thirty-one, and farmed for his father on shares for six years, when at his father-in-law's request, May 12, 1874, he removed to the farm of the latter in East Vincent township. His father-in-law died August 31st of that year, and the fine farm of eighty-one acres of valuable land on which they now reside, became the property of Mrs. Brownback. This farm is now all highly improved and in a splendid state of cultivation. He also owns ten acres of timber land in South Coventry township, and ranks among the substantial and prosperous farmers of this section. In politics he is a republican, but in religious faith he follows the traditions of his family and is a strict member of the German Reformed church.
"On April 30, 1867, Mr. Brownback was united in marriage with Mira Grubb, a daughter of George and Mariah Grubb, of Frederick township, Montgomery county, this State. To their union has been born a family of four children, two sons and two daughters: George G., Emma E., Jennie M. (deceased), and Lewis Marvin.
"Lewis C. Brownback is a lineal descendant of Garret Brownback (originally Gerhard Brumbach), a native of Wurtemburg, in southeastern Germany, who immigrated to America in 1683 on the vessel Concord from Amsterdam, October 6, and settled in Germantown, near Philadelphia, and helped to build the first house in that place. In 1734 he removed to Chester county and settled near Bethel church, where Lazetta Garber now lives. He was the founder of Brownback's German Reformed church, which was built by him of logs in 1741, of which there is a drawing, and kept the first tavern on the north side of the Lancaster pike in Chester county, and took out the first license in Chester county, in the year 1736, where he became a large landowner, taking up one thousand acres partly in Vincent and partly in Coventry townships. It was on part of this land that the church which bore his name was afterward built. He married Mary Pepen, the youngest daughter of Howard Pepen and Elizabeth Rittenhouse, the daughter of William Rittenhouse, a brother of David Rittenhouse, the famous American astronomer, and reared a family of two sons - Benjamin and Henry - and daughters, who became the wives of Richard Custard, John Benner, Frederick Bingaman, and John Munshower. When Garret Brownback settled here there was an Indian village, two hundred yards back of his house, which contained three hundred persons; he taught them to help him to work in the vicinity of his dwelling, the inhabitants of which frequently rendered him services in return for favors shown to them. For this work he gave them milk, potatoes and vegetables. He was born in 1662 and died about 1758, aged ninety-six years, and his remains lie entombed at the cemetery connected with the church he founded. He was succeeded at the tavern by tavern by his son, Benjamin, whose first wife was Mary Paul, the daughter
of John Paul, and they had three sons: Henry, John and Edward. He continued the business nearly thirty years. The latter served as a soldier - first lieutenant, August 21, 1776 - during the revolutionary war, and
after his death his widow, Rachel Parker, his second wife, was robbed and murdered, but no clue to the assassin was ever obtained. He died April 15, 1837, aged eighty-five years and two months.
"Henry Brownback (paternal great-grandfather) was born in East Coventry township, this county, about 1733, and received such education as was afforded by the schools of that early day. He lived all his life in that
township, dying July 30, 1804, at the age of seventy-one years, five months and twelve days. By occupation he was a farmer, in religion a member of the German reformed church, and married Magdalena Paul, the
daughter of John Paul, who died in 1766, aged thirty-five years and ten months. They reared a family of five children - three sons and two daughters - John, Peter, Benjamin, Annie Snyder and Susanna Prizer.
"Peter Brownback (grandfather) was born October 3, 1764, in East Coventry township, where he passed his life quietly engaged in agricultural pursuits, dying July 9, 1834, aged sixty-nine years, nine months and six days. He was a member of the State militia for many years and served actively during the great 'whisky insurrection' in western Pennsylvania. His wife who died December 12, 1853, aged eighty-eight years, was Susannah DeFrane, the daughter of Peter DeFrane, and they had a family of three sons: Peter, Jesse and John, the first and last now deceased.
"Jesse Brownback (father) was also a native of East Coventry township, born March 18, 1807, where he still lives at the advanced age of eighty five years. Politically he is a democrat, as were all his ancestors, and
a member of the German reformed church. On December 27, 1832, he married Elizabeth Christman, a daughter of Jacob Christman, of this county, and to them was born a family of eleven children, of whom one, Theodore, died December 7, 1842. Those surviving are: Penrose, Edith, Margaret, Jacob, Clementine, Anna, Garret, Martha, Frederick and Lewis C., the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Elizabeth Brownback died June 21, 1853, aged forty-one years, having been born October 23, 1812.
"For much of the information given above we are indebted to L. C. Brownback."]
- Biographical Sketch of Lewis Chrisman.
[Lewis Chrisman was born in Chester Co., Pa., Mar. 27, 1826; worked on his fatherís farm and taught school; was assistant teacher in the Rambo College; also taught at the Garber school and Whitehall in Montgomery Co., and in Phoenixville, Chester Co., Pa. Came to Mt. Carroll in May 1850, clerked in R. J. Tomkinsí store for 9 years. April 28, 1853 he was married to Hannah M. Pyle, to whom two children were born, Milliard W. and Mary Emma Moore, both of whom reside at Anita, Iowa. Mrs. Chrisman died April 5, 1881 at the age of 46 years. Mr. Chrisman remained a widower until October 26, 1897 when he married Miss Sarah Matilda Law of Savanna Township. Has been in the insurance business for the past 45 years and real estate and loan business for more than 30 years. In 1875 he established the Carroll County Abstract Office, of which he is proprietor and owner. He has one of the most complete and perfect set of abstract books in the west. He has built up a good business, has a good home and is in the enjoyment of splendid health, not having been sick so as to be kept from his business for more than 40 years.
LEWIS CHRISMAN - Mt. Carroll City: Real Estate and Loan Agent; born in Phoenixville, Chester Co., Pa., March 27, 1826; lived there 24 years; came to Ill., to Carroll Co., May 8, 1850, 27 years ago; he taught school, and clerked in store for 6 years; he has been engaged in insurance business for 20 years; was special agent of the Home Insurance Co. 4 years, and of the Etna Insurance Co. 8 years, for 111. and Southern Wis.; he represented 16 companies at one time; married Hannah M. Pyle, from Phoenixville, Chester Co., Pa., April 18, 1853; they have two children: Willard W., born Oct. 28, 1857; Mrs. Mary E. Moore, March 3, 1855; she was married Nov. 28, 1876.]
- Biographical Sketch of Lewis Evans.
[LEWIS EVANS, with Sarah, his wife, and children, came from Caernarvonshire, Wales, and settled in Vincent township, near what is known as the "Tilt-Mills." Here Lewis worked at his trade of a shoemaker until his death, May 19, 1762, in the forty-sixth year of his age. He was buried at Charlestown Presbyterian church. His widow survived until March 11, 1805, when she had reached her ninety-third year, and was buried by her husband.
Daniel Evans, their son, was born in Caernarvonshire, Nov. 27, 1743, and married Esther Benner, who was born in Leipsic, Germany, 1759. Daniel died Oct. 1, 1820, and his widow Aug. 10, 1840. The other children of Lewis and Sarah were John, Barbara, Jeremiah, Sarah, and Abel, the last being born on the voyage to this country. After the death of the father the family removed to Uwchlan and settled on 62 1/2 acres of land, whereon they built a house in 1766, which was enlarged in 1801, and is still standing. The farm was also increased until it contained 350 acres, of which 333 acres are now owned by Newton Evans. The house is said to have been for a time the headquarters of Gen. Wayne, while his forces were encamped on the farm.
The children of Daniel and Esther Evans were Lewis; m. to Sarah Evans; Isaac; Elizabeth, m. to Joshua Evans; Sarah, m. to Samuel Nailor; Ezra, m. to Eliza King; Mary, m. to Robert McClure; Jesse; Daniel; Abel; and Henry T., m. to Eliza Thatcher. None of these are now living except Abel and Mary.]
- Biographical Sketch of Logan W. Wheatley.
[Rev. Logan W. Wheatley, who for nearly seven years has been the pastor of the First
Methodist Episcopal church of Tucson, is a native of Howard county, Missouri, his birth
there occurring on the 15th of January, 1876. The family removed to Barber county, Kansas,
in 1884, locating on a farm, in the cultivation of which the father engaged.
The education of Logan W. Wheatley was begun in the schools of his native state, where
he passed the first eight years of his life. When he was eleven he went on the cattle range
and has since been self-supporting. He was an ambitious youth of high aspirations and utilized
his spare moments to the best possible advantage. The fact that he was compelled to earn
his own living and also the money to pay for his schooling never caused him to relinquish
his determination to obtain an education but apparently only served to strengthen his
purpose. While residing in Kansas he attended the public schools but later he became a pupil
in a preparatory school at Denver, Colorado, where he qualified for college, completing his
course of study at the University of Southern California. He decided to devote his life to the
ministry and in October, 1905, was ordained an elder of the Methodist Episcopal church at
Yuma, Arizona. He was a local preacher in Colorado and Idaho for two years and he also
preached while attending college. He was pastor of the church at Safford, Graham county,
Arizona, for ten months, supplementing his small salary with his wages as clerk in the post-
office. He also presided over the church at Bisbee for sixteen months, going from there to
Prescott, this state, where he began his pastoral duties in 1905. In 1909 he was sent to
Tucson and has ever since been located at this point.
In October, 1905, Mr. Wheatley was united in marriage to Miss Eleanor St. Clair Ward-
law, a native of South Carolina, and to them have been born two children, Eleanor Dixie and
Mr. Wheatley is a member of the Masonic lodge and the Independent Order of Odd
Fellows. He is a man who takes an active and helpful interest in all worthy movements and
cooperates in promoting the development of the community and the welfare of its citizens.
He is chairman of the board of trustees of the Tucson public library and has given very
efficient service in this connection. He is also regent of the University of Arizona and trustee
of the Arizona Wesleyan University at Phoenix, while he is serving on the committee for
church federation of the state and the executive committee for Arizona State Sunday schools.
He is also chairman of the board of directors of the local Young Men's Christian Association.
Mr. Wheatley belongs to that class of broad minded clergymen who realize that the minister
of the modern church, in order to obtain desirable results and achieve the chief purpose and
aim of his calling, must be sufficiently versatile not only to meet his pastoral requirements
but exert an influence through his everyday life that will make his power as a private citizen
felt throughout the community. He capably fills his pulpit and discharges his pastoral
duties, and yet has sufficient time left to keep in touch with the affairs of the day and take
an active interest in promoting the general development of the city.]
- Biographical Sketch of Lyman J. Wilkinson.
[LYMAN J. WILKINSON, was born August 17th, 1833, in Tioga County, Pennsylvania. In 1838, he came with his parents to La Salle County, Illinois, and from thence, in 1844, to Bureau County, Illinois. He was educated in the common schools. Was reared on a farm and made farming his business in early life. From 1844 to 1852, he resided on a farm adjoining Buda, and thereafter for two years he resided in Tiskilwa. In 1854, he was married to Miss Emeline Stevens. From that time until 1860, he was engaged in farming, a part of the time in Bureau County, and a part in Henry County, Illinois. In the latter year, he assisted in the enlistment and organization of Company E, Ninety-Third Illinois Volunteer Infantry. On the organization of the company, he was elected First Lieutenant, and served with the company until his health failed, in 1863, when he resigned, as shown by the roster of the company.
In 1869, he was appointed superintendent of Bureau County Farm, by the board of supervisors of the county, and served until March, 1872. At that time, he resigned the place to accept the superintendency of henry County Infirmary, to which he had been elected by the board of supervisors of that county. He has been continuously reelected and has served in that capacity ever since, more than twenty-five years. His address is Geneseo, Illinois.]
- Biographical Sketch of Martin Melvin.
[Martin Melvin, quarryman, Port Blanchard, was born October 12, 1847, in County Mayo, Ireland, and is a son of John and Bridget (Dougher) Melvin, also natives of the same place. They reared a family of five children, of whom the subject of our sketch is third in order of birth. He received his education in the Irish national schools, and left Ireland in 1864, landing in New York on September 4, same year; he immediately went to work as a laborer in te mines at Pittston, Pa., where he stayed until March 26, 1866, when he enlisted in Company B, U. S. Infantry, and served three years. He then returned to Pittston and went back to labor in the mines, remaining there until 1872, when he went to work as a fireman for the Pennsylvania Coal Company, which position he still holds, working in addition the Port Griffith Stone Quarry, of which he is owner. Our subject was married, June 24, 1870, to Annie, daughter of Andrew and Margaret (Forrester) Cawley, natives of County Mayo, Ireland, and the issue of this union has been as follows: Mary A., born April 24, 1873; Margaret R., born August 18, 1875; Lucy H., born August 28, 1877; Joseph A., born October 17, 1879; Annie, born November 17, 1881; John, born May 18, 1886; Martin, born November 7, 1888, and Francis, born May 23, 1891. The family are all members of the Catholic Church; Mr. Melvin is a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians; he is a Democrat in politics, and was elected auditor of Jenkins township in 1883, and school director in 1886.]
- Biographical Sketch of Mathew M. Withrow.
[MATHEW M. WITHROW is one of the young men who are winning a competence in tilling the soil of their native county and in all other energetic labors. In the prosecution of his business affairs he displays a commendable degree of zeal and assiduity, and the reward which his efforts are meeting with is one that is satisfactory to himself and to all who are interested in the success of honest endeavors.
Mr. Withrow is descended from two honorable families of the section south of the Mason and Dixon line. His father, James H. Withrow, was born in Virginia January 15, 1811, and his mother, Maria (Beauchamp) Withrow, in Kentucky, in 1814. In 1825, James Withrow accompanied his father Joseph Withrow, to this State, the family locating in what is now Woodside township, this county, where land was entered by our subject's grandfather. After having reached man's estate, James Withrow entered land in Macoupin County, whence in 1851 he returned to this county, settling in Williams township. He purchased land and operated a sawmill that was run by horse power. He died September 26, 1883, at the age of seventy-two years. He was a lifelong member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and was highly respected by all who knew him. His good wife passed away April 25, 1884, at the age of seventy years. For a long period she was connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church and was zealous in support of its doctrines and various branches of work.
The family of which our subject formed one consisted of seven children, three of whom are now living. The natal day of M. M. Withrow was August 25, 1852, and his birthplace was the parental estate on section 28, Williams Township, this county. He received a fair common-school education, and so long as his parents lived, remained under their roof assisting his father in the management of the farm. He now owns two hundred and five acres of splendid land, which has been well improved with everything which goes to make up a well-regulated estate. He operates a sawmill and threshing machine, and has for several years dealt in baled hay, buying the hay when it is first cured and shipping it after baling.
March 31, 1878, the solemn marriage rites were celebrated between our subject and Mary C. James, a daughter of George W. and Sophia (Brown) James. The bride was born in Logan County, October 6, 1853, and was carefully reared by Christian parents. Her father was born in Virginia, but reared in Ohio, of which State Mrs. James is a native. They were very early settlers in Logan County, but are still living and are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. and Mrs. Withrow are the happy parents of three children: Adie R., born December 18, 1878; George H., January 19, 1882; and Ada M., November 3, 1884.
Mr. Withrow has served in various positions of public trust in connection with the local administration of affairs. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a man of more than ordinary intelligence, keeping himself well informed regarding the world's events and the progress of humanity, and capable of conversing agreeably and clearly on various topis of interest. He and his wife are active and influential members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and both are highly esteemed in the community.]
- Biographical Sketch of Matt G. Lyle.
[A representative member of the legal profession in Clarksville is Matt G. Lyle, prosecuting attorney of Montgomery county. His birth occurred in that county on the 10th of October, 1872, and he belongs to one of the old and influential families of the state, having been identified with the Cumberland valley for several generations. The original home of the family, however, was in South Carolina, but this branch removed to North Carolina and thence to Tennessee.
Mr. Lyle's paternal grandparents, James and Sallie Lyle, were natives of this state, and the grandfather was one of the most successful farmers and substantial citizens of his locality. The maternal grandparents were Sidney C. and Maria (Williams) Batson, the former a native of Montgomery county, the Batsons being likewise among the oldest families of the county. The parents of Matt G. Lyle were William J. and Elizabeth M. (Batson) Lyle, also natives of Montgomery county, the father born in 1842 and the mother in 1847, and both passed away in the year 1910.
William J. Lyle was a man of varied interests and his life was crowned with successful achievement. He was a farmer, live stock dealer and merchant, and for a number of years was in the tobacco business. Politically he was a democrat, his fraternal affiliation was with the Masons, and both he and his wife were consistent members of the Methodist church, South. They had the following children: Sally Maria, residing in Nashville, who is the widow of Professor W. I. Harper, a well known educator, whose demise occurred in 1910; Henry Clay, who is living at Shamrock, Texas; Carney Batson, a prominent attorney of Clarksville and president of the First Trust & Savings Bank; Annie, who married Edgar Orgain and died in 1921; Elizabeth, who passed away in April, 1923; Matt G.; Robert, deceased; John Abram, a resident of Birmingham, Alabama; Lewis L., who is living on the old homestead in Montgomery county; James Russell, likewise a resident of Birmingham, Alabama; and Martha Catherine, the wife of C. B. Nix of Charlotte, Tennessee.]
- Biographical Sketch of Matthew Edwards.
[Matthew Edwards was a native of Camborne parish. He came to Mineral Point in 1832, by way of New Orleans. Soon after arriving, he enlisted in the Black Hawk War and died in 1864.
Mrs. Matthew Edwards was also born in Camborne parish, March 17 1807 and came with her husband to Mineral Point in 1832. She died at Beetown, Grant County in 1892.
James Prideaux was born in Illogan parish, Cornwall, July 5, 1809. He settled in Mineral Point in 1832, served in the Black Hawk War and afterwards engaged in mining. He died in Bloomington, Grant County November 2, 1886.
William Prideaux was a cousin of James, and like him came from Illogan parish to Mineral Point in 1832, served in the Black Hawk War and engaged in mining.
In 1832, Francis Vivian arrived in Mineral Point with his family. Matthew Edwards and wife were in the same party. Francis Vivian was born in Camborne parish, February 19, 1801. He came to Mineral Point and served in the Black Hawk War and engaged in mining, then smelter. In 1865 he was elected County treasurer. He died March 14, 1884; aged 83 years.]
- Biographical Sketch of Matthias Pennypacker.
[Matthias J. Pennypacker, M. D., who is a graduate from the medical department of the Pennsylvania University, and has served as a member of the legislature of this State, is the youngest and only surviving son of Matthias and Sarah (Andersen) Pennypacker, and was born at Pennypacker's mill, Schuylkill township, Chester county, Pennsylvania, September 10, 1819. There he was principally reared, receiving a superior English and classical education in the famous school conducted by Joshua Hoopes at West Chester. On leaving school he began the study of medicine, and later entered the Pennsylvania University at Philadelphia, from the medical department of which he was graduated with honors in the class of 1841. For a time he was engaged in the Philadelphia hospitals, and later located in his native county, where he practiced for a short period, and was then offered and accepted a position as assistant superintendent and manager of the Phoenixville Iron works. Here he remained two years, and at the end of that time, in 1849, he became superintendent of Durham Iron works, at Durham, Bucks county, this State, which position he was forced to resign one year 1ater on account of failing health, he then returned to Chester county, and purchasing the homestead farm engaged in agriculture, in hope that out door life would restore his waning strength and former vigor of constitution- a hope in which he was not disappointed. So well did farm life agree with him that he has ever since maintained his connection with agricultural pursuits, owning a fine farm of one hundred and twenty-seven acres of improved land, and also a grist mill.
Dr. Pennypacker was one of the original republicans of Chester County, and has kept his political faith alike in victory or defeat down to the present hour. In 1854 he was elected to the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, and served one term (1855) as a member of that honorable body. He has always taken a deep and abiding interest in general politics, and in every movement calculated to advance the public welfare, or benefit the people of this county, and is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Phoenixville.
On April 27, 1848, Dr. Pennypacker was married to Annie R. Walker, a daughter of William and Sarah Walker, of Tredyffrin Township, and by this union had a family of nine children, five sons and four daughters, six of whom arrived at maturity: William H., who married Mary Anna Wetherill, and now resides in Schuylkill township, where he is engaged in farming; Matthias A., now deceased, who married Ella Garrison, of the city of Philadelphia, and was employed as superintendent of the Baldwin Locomotive works in Philadelphia; Sarah, Mary Athalia, Isaac A. and Annie W., the four latter living at home with their father. Mrs. Annie R. Pennypacker died in 1868, and in 1878 Dr. Pennypacker wedded Kate A. Cook, an intelligent and cultivated lady of Parkersburg, West Virginia, and a daughter of Tillinghast J. Cook, of that city. By his second marriage the Doctor has one child, a son, named James C., who is living at home with his parents.
The family of which Dr. Pennypacker is a member was spoken of sixty years ago by Hon. Isaac Anderson, in his history of Charlestown township, as " rich, respectable and numerous," and has lost none of these characteristics in the years which have elapsed since then. It originated in Holland, where its representatives may yet be found, and about 1650 was transplanted to Germany, where the original name Pannebakker (tile-maker) was Germanized to Pfannebecker. In 1699 Heinrich Pfannebecker, born in Germany in 1674, came to Germantown, near Philadelphia, and from there removed to Skippack, now in Montgomery county, where he died in 1754. He was the first German surveyor in Pennsylvania, and a large land owner. Several of his grandsons crossed the Schuylkill into Chester County. One, Jacob Pennypacker (as the name soon came to be spelled America), came to Perkiomen Junction in 1772. Matthias (grandfather) came in 1774 and settled at the point now known as Pennypacker's mill, in Schuylkill Township and Harman, John and Benjamin came to Chester Springs in 1792, 1794 and 1796 respectively; while Henry settled in Vincent in 1794.
Matthias Pennypacker, paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born October 14, 1742, and died in Schuylkill Township, this county, February 8, 1808, at the age of sixty-six years. He was a wealthy farmer and miller, carrying on an extensive business, and running a line of boats on the Schuylkill River to carry his flour to Philadelphia. Part of the product of his mill was also sent to that city in wagons, a number of which he kept constantly employed. He was a member and bishop of the Mennonite church, was the first preacher in the old church at Phoenixville, and spoke both the English and German languages fluently. While the Continental army lay at Valley Forge a number of American officers were quartered at his house, and in 1777 the British destroyed much property at his mill. He was a man of large heart and clear head, and was universally acknowledged as a leader in his community. In 1784 he was appointed by the assembly one of the commissioners to provide for the navigation of the Schuylkill River, and in 1793, when Philadelphia was ravaged by the yellow fever, he sent two hundred and forty dollars in cash to be distributed among the poor of that city. He married Mary Custer, of Montgomery County, by whom he had a family of six children John, James, Joseph, Matthias (father), Elizabeth and Margaret. His first wife dying in 1798, he afterward married Mary, widow of Christian Marys, by whom he had a daughter named Sarah. All his children are now deceased.
Matthias Pennypacker (father) was born on the old homestead, August l5, 1786, where he was reared; and obtained his education in the subscription schools of that early day. After attaining manhood he engaged in farming and milling, both of which he conducted on a large scale, he also operated a saw mill and dealt in lumber for a number of years. In religious faith he was a Mennonite and a prominent member of that church for many years. He died at his home on Pickering creek, April 4, 1852, aged sixty-six years. Politically he was an old line Whig, and ardently espoused the cause of Henry Clay, and was a great admirer of Gen. William Henry Harrison. In 1826 and again in 1827 he was elected a member of the State assembly, in which he served three terms with distinction, and in 1837 was a member of the Constitutional convention, in which lie took an active part. In 1831 he was chairman of the organization of the leading men of Chester County which made the first move toward the construction of the Philadelphia, & Reading railroad, and was one of the incorporators of that road. He ranked with the first citizens of Chester County, and was regarded as authority on questions of political economy.
In 1807 He married Sarah Andersen, a daughter of Hon. Isaac Andersen, of Schuylkill Township, and by this union had a family of five children, four sons and a daughter, the youngest of whom is the subject of this sketch. The eldest son was James A., born December 12. 1808, and died December 23, 1851, aged forty-two years. He married Ann Pennypacker, by whom he had three children: Sarah Frances, who died in childhood; Dr. Nathan A., who married Eliza Davis; and Mary Elizabeth, who married William Williamson, of Pottstown. The second child was Mary A., born August 12, 1810, and died August 29, 1887, at the old homestead where she had always lived. The third was Dr. Isaac A., born July 9, 1812, and died February 18, 1856 in his forty-fourth year. He married Anna Maria Whitaker, and was the father of six children: John C., died in early youth Samuel W., now a. Judge in the Philadelphia court of common pleas, who married Virginia Broomall; Harry C., married Clara Kames, and resides at Moore Hall, this county; Josephine, died in infancy; Isaac R., married Charlotte Whitaker, of Havre-de-Grasse, Maryland, and now lives at Mount Holly, New Jersey; and James L., who wedded Grace Coolidge, of Boston, and resides at Haddonfield, New Jersey. The next child of Matthias and Sarah Pennypacker was Washington, born September 20, 1814 and died August 20. 1867. He married Eliza Wright, of Safe Harbor, this State, by whom he had five children: Matthias, who died at Harper's Ferry, in 1862, while serving in the Union army; Susannah, married L. Wesley Free; Mary A.; Jennie, married George Kirk, and now resides in the State of Washington; and Benjamin B., who wedded Annie Lamar and lives in the same State.]
- Biographical Sketch of Meredith Cooper.
[COOPER, MEDEDITH, born April 7, 1792, in Botetourt county, Va. His parents moved to Smith county, Tenn., when he was a young man. Polly Witcher was born July 21, 1794, in Cocke county, Tenn., and her parents moved to Smith county when she was but fifteen years of age. Meredith Cooper and Polly Witcher were there married, June 16, 1812. In September of that year Mr. Cooper enlisted for three months in a Tennessee regiment, and served four months against the Indians in Alabama, who were the allies of the British government, with whom we were then at war. Mr. and Mrs. Cooper had two children in Tennessee. In the spring of 1817 Mr. Cooper went to St. Clair county, Ill., raised a crop, and returning, brought his family in the fall of that year. The moving was done on two horses, as there were no wagon roads; and if there had been, they were unable to own a wagon. As a specimen of real life at that time, I give the statement of Mrs. Cooper, now quite aged, that she rode one horse, carried a child in her arms, and with a feather bed lashed to the saddle behind, wended her way, while her husband carried the other child, with all the household goods and farm implements he could put on the other horse. Three of their children were born in St. Clair county. The fame of the rich soil of the San-ga-ma country was known in St. Clair county, and Mr. and Mrs. Cooper resolved to emigrate thither. This time they put all their worldly goods and five children in an ox-cart, and arrived in the autumn of 1823 in what is now called Fancy Creek township, near the present town of Sherman, where they had seven children. Of all their children--
MARTHA, born Oct. 26, 1814, in Tennessee, married in Sangamon county to William Branson. See his name.
JAMES W., born Sept. 16, 1816, in Tennessee, was married in Sangamon county to Zarilda Taylor. They had four children. MELISSA married Charles Wood. They have one child, and live near Edinburg, Ill. PRISCILLA married James Wright. They have four children, and live near Riverton. JAS. M. married Ellen McGinnis. They have two children, and live three miles southeast of Williamsville. AMBROSE died Jan. 27, 1874, in Williams township. James W. Cooper went to Texas, hoping to improve his health, and died there in 1853. His widow died the next year in Sangamon county.
MINERVA, born Sept. 21, 1818, in St. Clair county, Ill., was married in Sangamon county to Jesse Yocom. See his name.
MARGARET J., born Sept. 1, 1820, in St. Clair county, was married in Sangamon county to George W. Yocom. See his name. Three of their children, NETTIE, CLARA and MINNIE, died in the winter of 1876.
MARY, born July 28, 1822, in St. Clair county, was married in Sangamon county, Ill., Jan. 30, 1851, to John Wilson, who was born Feb. 1, 1821, in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. They have three children, ANN, JAMES M. and THOMAS H., and reside one and a half miles east of Riverton.
NANCY, born May 7, 1825, in Sangamon county, married John Keagle. They have seven children. CHARLOTTE married Nathan Hussy. See his name. SIDNEY married Samuel Smith. She died, leaving one child, LETITIA, who married Silas Skinner and died. JOSEPH, SUSAN, HARLAN P. and HARRISA B., reside with their parents in Logan county, Ill.
REBECCA, born Aug. 11, 1827, in Sangamon county, married James Mills. She died Oct., 1871, in Sangamon county. James Mills died in the spring of 1874, in Moultrie county. Of their children: MARY F. married Samuel Harsh, and resides near Sullivan. LOUISA and EMMA reside near Sullivan, Moultrie county, Ill.
AMBROSE, born Sept. 13, 1829, in Sangamon county, married Dorothy Keagle. They have five children, MARY J., JOHN M., AUGUSTA, GEORGE E. L. and JAMES W., and reside near Brownsville, Mo.
DAVID D., born August 10, 1831, in Sangamon county, married Juliet Withrow. They have seven children, SUSIE, JAMES A., DOUGLAS, LEE, AUGUSTA and EUGENE, and reside one and a half miles east of Sherman.
ROBERT, born July 8, 1834, in Sangamon county, was married Feb. 9, 1869, to Lavina Garner, who was born in Washington county, Indiana. They live near Sherman, Sangamon county, Ill.
MEREDITH, Jun., born Sept. 11, 1836, in Sangamon county, was married in March, 1873, to Mrs. Emma Jones, whose maiden name was Watson. They have one child, ANNA LEONORA, and reside in east St. Louis, Ill.
LOUISA, born Feb. 3, 1839, in Sangamon county, was married Dec. 26, 1855, to Isaac M. Raynolds, who was born in Pike county, Ohio. They have five children, CHARLES M., JAMES A., POLLY E., EDWIN S. and BERTHA M., and reside one and a half miles east of Sherman. The place was for many years a trading post for the Indians, and from about 1832 to 1856 was the family homestead of the Coopers. Some of the younger members of the family remember a visit to their house by Abraham Lincoln on business. A large back log had just been put on. It was cut from the fork of a tree, and one limb projected quite a distance up the chimney. The children were greatly amused to witness Mr. Lincoln's interest in trying to determine how they brought it through the door and put it in the fireplace. Meredith Cooper, Sen., died Nov. 1, 1870, in Williams township, and his widow resides with their daughter, Mrs. Raynolds.]
- Biographical Sketch of Milo B. Wyman.
[Milo B. Wyman, who for many years was one of the leading and most influential citizens of Eau Claire, was a native of New York state, and was born at Meredith, June 8, 1842. When 12 years of age he came to Eau Claire with his parents from New England and grew up in this city, where he lived for over half a century, and was always active in promoting the business growth of this city. In his earlier years he was engaged in the mercantile business with Mr. Carrol, and later was associated with the firm of Graham, White & Co., on the North Side. He was with the Empire Lumber Company for several years. He entered into a co-partnership with Erskine Ingram and formed the Half Moon Lake Shingle Company, of which Mr. Wyman was president for thirteen years.
As a business man his reputation was unblemished, and his success in all his undertakings was the direct result of his industry, integrity and perseverance, while his quiet, unassuming manner and sterling business
qualities gained for him the firm friendship of a large circle of acquaintances. No one feared to trust him, no matter in what position they desired him to fill, and his employees always spoke for him their kindliest regards. He was called from earth on December 2, 1906, but it can truthfully be said that his was a well spent life, that he was energetic, firm reliable in all his dealings, helpful in all work tending to the benefit of those around him, loved and revered by his family, respected and trusted by all who knew him. His character and his work were a blessing to the community in which he lived, and he left to his successor the best of all heritages---an honest name.
Mr. Wyman held many positions of public trust, and from its organization was secretary of the Eau Claire Building & Loan Association and Home Building Loan Association. As a member of the Old Settlers' Association he stood among the first in years of service and honorable reputation. He was a member of the Baptist church, regular in attendance and a dependable helper in religious and chritable enterprises. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and an honored member of the Grand Army Post. He enlisted in Company L, Second Calvary, and held the rank of first sergeant, second lieutenant and first lieutenant successively. On September 19, 1869, Mr. Wyman married Miss Martha E. Kershner, a lady of culture and refinement, and two children were born, a son, who died in infancy, and a daughter Anna, who became the wife of the late Rev. Arthur C. Kempton. She is now the wife of Rev. Edward Babcock, of Utica, New York.]
- Biographical Sketch of Montgomery Christman.
[MONTGOMERY CHRISTMAN, justice of the peace and dealer in coal, feed and lumber at Sanatoga Station, was born on a farm in Limerick township, Montgomery county, September 5, 1847. He is the son of Jacob H. and Catharine (Zollar) Christman, also natives of Montgomery county, Pennsylvania. Montgomery Christman was one of four children, two of whom are now living: Montgomery C., and Sarah, wife of John Fry, of Limerick township.
Jacob H. Christman (father) was a farmer and a dealer in cattle. During the latter years of his life, however, he devoted himself exclusively to farming. He died in Limerick township, in the first house on the pike in the western part of Limerick, on December 20, 1879, at the age of sixty-two years and ten months. His wife is still living at the age of seventy-nine years. They were members of the Reformed church, In politics he was a Democrat. He belonged to the state militia.
Daniel Christman (grandfather) was a farmer in Limerick township. He built the first house below Crooked Hill, now Sanatoga. He died at the age of sixty-two. His wife was Sarah Hahn, who died at the age of seventy-five. They had five children, one son and four daughters, of whom is still living Mrs. William H. Smith, of Pottstown, now eighty-two years old. The maternal grandfather of Montgomery Christman was an early settler in New Hanover township, and was a farmer. They had nine children, all of whom lived to an old age.
Montgomery Christman lived in Montgomery county, Pennsylvania, until he was eighteen years of age.
December 27, 1869, Montgomery Christman married Miss Mary P. Mottin, of St. Louis county, Missouri, daughter of Augustus Mottin. They had two children- William Daniel, who now resides in St. Louis, Missouri, where he is engaged in business, and one who died in infancy. Mrs. Christman died July 16, 1875, at the age of twenty-two years.
In May, 1888, Montgomery Christman married Miss Laura T. Miller, daughter of Joseph T. and Elizabeth (Linderman) Miller, of Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania. They had one child who died in infancy. Mrs. Christman is a member of the Lutheran church.
Politically Mr. Christman is a Democrat. He is serving his fourth term as justice of the peace of Lower Pottsgrove township, Montgomery county, and he held the position for one term in St. Louis county, Missouri. His home property consists of seven acres highly cultivated, and seventeen acres along the pike. He owns a farm of sixty acres in St. Louis county, Missouri.
Mrs. Christman's parents were early settlers in Montgomery county, and both are still living in Lower Pottsgrove township. They had six children, four now living, as follows: Warren T. Miller; Ira T. Miller, of Philadelphia; Mary A. Boyer, of Pottstown; and Mrs. Laura Christman.]