- Biographical Sketch of Jared Wilbur Taylor.
[Jared Wilber Taylor, founder of the Barron Roller Mills, first president of the First National Bank, postmaster, city official, and active man-of-affairs, was for many years one of the most vital factors in the life and growth of Barron. He was born in Oxford, Marquette county, this state, Dec. 11, 1856, the son of Henry H. and Martha E. (Emerick) Taylor, natives of New York state, who came to Wisconsin in 1840, and lived in Walworth
county, until moving to Marquette county in the fifties.
He was reared on his native farm, attended the neighboring schools, and learned agriculture from his father. In 1877 he started out for himself by renting a farm. But although he made a success of this operation, he felt that his ability lay along commercial lines, and decided to embark on a career as a miller. Accordingly, he came to Barron in 1884, purchased the roller mill at Cameron, and transferred the machinery to a building he erected on the waterpower at Barron, thus establishing the Barron Roller Mills, which for many years were an important feature in the commercial stability of the city. From July 1, 1887 to Nov. 1, 1890, he successfully conducted a general store at Barron. He devoted most of his life, however, to the development of the milling industry here. In 1916 he was a prime mover in the founding of the First National Bank, and as first president, kept a close supervision over the affairs of the institution, and was especially concerned in the erection of the present sightly banking house. He also had other financial interests and holdings, including city and rural real estate. He did much to promote and further the business interests of Barron, when it was struggling from a village to a city, was always true to this locality, and deserves much credit for having devoted his mature years to its progress and betterment.
In politics, Mr. Taylor was a staunch Republican, and was a member of various committees, conventions and delegations of that party in the picturesque days before the primary laws went into effect. In 1888-89 he was postmaster at Barron; in 1896-97 he was city treasurer, and 1901-02, he served with efficiency and dignity as mayor. Fraternally he delighted in the companionship of his fellow man. In 1876 he was one of those instrumental in organizing the local lodge of Odd Fellows, and for some time served as district deputy. He was also a popular member of the Modern Woodmen of America. After a useful life, he died Feb. 22, 1917.
Mr. Taylor was a man of deep convictions, and was possessed of the courage to voice them, and had the most decided opinions as to the things which were of the greatest good to the community. In furtherance of all that he believed to be right and for the city's best interests, he was willing to give freely of his time, his energy and his means, and he is rightly numbered among those who were of permanent help in the upbuilding of this part of the county. In personal affairs he was deservedly successful, and left varied interests to his family. In his home, Mr. Taylor was a loving husband, an indulgent and affectionate father. There he sought rest from business cares, and there he found his greatest contentment. As a business man he was shrewd and cautious, and possessed of unusually good judgment and foresight. In public office he was of scrupulous integrity, of utmost fairness and justice. In politics he never advised a man but in the ways which he believed to be right, and the leaders, as well as the rank and file, had the greatest confidence in his spoken word. As a companion he was cheery and possessed of a keen sense of humor, and as a friend he was loyal, true and helpful. In all ways he measured up to the full standard of an upright and useful citizen, and his loss will long continue to be sincerely mourned.
Mr. Taylor was married Nov. 30, 1881, to Hannah E. Ross, born May 8, 1859, at Farmington, Washington county, this state, the daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Ross. This union has been blessed with five children: Henry Ross, Mildred, Lawrence Earl, Sherman and Marshall, all born in Barron. Henry Ross Taylor was born May 8, 1888. He passed through the Barron schools and graduated from Lawrence College at Appleton, Wis. He is now connected with the Nevada Consolidated Copper Co. at McGill, Nevada, as assistant superintendent.
He married Beverly Alexander Riley, of Salt Lake City, and has a daughter, Dixie. Mildred Elizabeth was born Sept. 16, 1892, passed through the local schools, graduated from the Barron high school in 1910 and from the home economics course at the Stout Institute, Menomonie, in 1913. She then taught home economics in Wilbur, Washington, two years, in Mondovi, Wis., one year, and in Barron, Wis., one year. Sept. 30, 1918, she enlisted in the service as a student nurse and shortly afterward was made dietitian. From Camp Wheeler, Georgia, she was transferred to the Walter Reed Hospital, Washington, D. C., and from there to the Letterman General Hospital, San Francisco. She was discharged July 1, 1920.
On Sept. 22, 1920, she married Wallace M. Plummer, of Oshkosh, Wis., who served two years in Europe with the 16th Engineers. They are located at Wilburton, Oklahoma, where Mr. Plummer is in the U. S. Government claim service. Lawrence Earl Taylor was born Dec. 1, 1894. He graduated from the Barron High school in 1914. He enlisted in the Marines, March 6, 1918, and was stationed at Miami, Florida. He is now at Lanark, Ill., where he is superintendent of a canning factory. Sept. 3,1919, he married Josephine Johnson, of Rice Lake, Wis., and has a son, Dean Leroy, born Feb. 28, 1921. Sherman and Marshall are attending the Barron High school.]
- Biographical Sketch of Jefferson Christman.
[Mr. Christman's youngest brother, Jefferson, learned the printing business in the office of the Commonwealth and subsequently settled in Philadelphia. After serving three years in the Seventy-second Regiment, he took a situation in the Public Ledger office, where he has been employed as a compositor for many years. He married Miss Maggie Powers, and they have four daughters, two of whom are married - Lillie, to Morris Naylor, and Ida, to Harry Conaway.]
- Biographical Sketch of Jesse Benner Evans.
[Jesse Benner Evans, a prosperous farmer, who holds an honored place among the leading citizens of Upper Uwchlan township, Chester county, belongs to a family of Welsh origin, which was founded in America by Lewis Evans, who left this native land in or about the year 1753, and settled in Pennsylvania, finding a home in that part of Chester county now known as East Vincent. He was accompanied by his wife, Sarah, and their son, Daniel. The career of Lewis Evans as a colonist was not a long one, but after making a hone for his family in the New World he died at a comparatively early age.
Daniel Evans, son of Lewis and Sarah Evans, was born in Wales, about 1743, and was ten years old when he crossed the sea with his parents to their new abode in the province of Pennsylvania. He learned the business of a surveyor, and in company with Mr. McVey surveyed a great number of farms. Mr. McVey afterward went to the west where he practices civil engineering. Daniel Evans served as a soldier in the Revolutionary army, and was at one time stationed at Jersey City. The record of his services is preserved in Harrisburg. His son Ezra, married in 1822, Eliza, daughter of Conrad King, of Uwchlan township, and their children were: Newton, who was a farmer, and is now deceased; and Jesse Benner, mentioned at length hereinafter. Thus, it appears that from the time of their immigration the family was numbered among those that have contributed to the welfare and advancement of the community in which their lot was cast.
Jesse Benner Evans, son of Ezra and Eliza (King) Evans, was born October 3, 1824, in Uwchlan township, and obtained his education in the public schools of the neighborhood. He studied dentistry, which he practiced successfully for many years in Phoenixville, and then feeling disposed for a county life and having an inherited taste for agriculture, he retired from business and bought the farm which is now his home. The estate consists of ninety-seven acres, and has attached to it a dairy of sixteen head of cattle. The products of the dairy, which are of a very superior quality are disposed of at the Fairmount Creamery. Notwithstanding the fact that Mr. Evans has never sought any public office, preferring to devote himself without interruption to his chosen work, he has been twice elected justice of the peace, and has filled the office of school director for ten years. This record is sufficient evidence of the high regard in which Mr. Evans is held by his townsmen. In politics he is a Prohibitionist, but gave his vote to place Abraham Lincoln in the presidential chair. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He and his family belong to the Baptist denomination, and Mr. Evans was for many years treasurer of the church which they attend, in addition to holding other offices, among them that of trustee.
Mr. Evans married Sarah Wagonseller, and the following children were born to them: 1. Frank, who lives in Harrisburg, where he holds the office of timekeeper at the Capitol. He married Essie Guthrie, who was of Scotch parentage, and they have three children: Clarence, who is attending the State College; Bessie, who is a typewriter at Atlantic City, New Jersey; and Gertie, who resided at home. 2. Eliza, who is the wife of Clark Pierson, who was for twenty-five years the publisher of the "Lambertville (New Jersey) Record". They have two daughters: Jessie, who is editor and manager of the paper of which her father was publisher; and Grace, who is a typewriter in the service of the Lambertville Rubber Company. 3. Wilmer, who is a typesetter on the "North American," one of the leading papers of Philadelphia. He married a woman of German descent, and one child is living; Edina G., who is now attending school. 4. Mattie, who became the wife of William McKinley, a farmer of Chester Valley, near Pikeland township. They had one child, who died when eight years old, and Mrs. McKinley, also, is now deceased. 5. Abbie S., who died at the age of twenty-one, unmarried. 6. Gertie, who is also deceased. The three last-named all died within six weeks. On July 16, 1903, Mr. and Mrs. Evans celebrated their fifty-third anniversary of their marriage. The family to which Mrs. Evans belongs is of German and Swiss extraction. Jacob Wagonseller was a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, and for many years was a practicing physician in Pottstown. At the time of his death he was a member of the state senate. He married Mary Richter, and their children were: 1. Richter, who was a practicing physician in Union county up to the time of his death. 2. Sarah, mentioned above as the wife of Jesse Benner Evans. 3. Catherine, who died at three years of age. 4. Mary, who became the wife of Rev. Franklyn Gearhart, of the Methodist Episcopal church, who died at Williamsport, Pennsylvania. 5. Frank, who is a physician, practicing in Selin's Grove, Union county. 6. Catharine (2), who became the wife of William W., son of Frederick Hallman, of Chester Springs. Mrs. Hallman, who is now deceased, left on son, Jacob. 7. Martha, who married Lloyd Sharpless, a merchant of Bloomsburgh, Columbia county, Pennsylvania. 8. John, who followed the occupation of a traveling salesman, and is now deceased. Dr. Wagonseller, the father of the family ended his days in Union county, leaving behind him a name honorably distinguished in the ranks of the medical profession, his reputation being ably sustained by the two sons who adopted their father's calling.]
- Biographical Sketch of Jesse Hause.
- Biographical Sketch of Joel Barlow.
[JOEL BARLOW, a prominent farmer in Lower Pottsgrove township, was born in Montgomery county on October 9, 1833. He is the son of Joel and Susan (Holabush) Barlow.
Joel Barlow (father) had been a resident of Schuylkill county for a number of Years at the time of his death. He was a farmer and a coal miner. He married Susan Holabush, daughter of Henry Holabush, of Montgomery county. She died in 1884, some years after her husband.
The father of Joel Barlow is buried in Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania. Joel and Susan Barlow had five children, two of whom are now deceased. They are: Washington(deceased); Sarah, married Daniel Marsh, a farmer in Montgomery county; Phoebe, married, and teaches school near Philadelphia; Joel, Jr.; John (deceased).
Joel Barlow went to school until he was eighteen years of age, when he began to learn the carpenter trade, and followed that occupation for six years. After his marriage he and his wife removed to the farm which he owns to-day, and where they have lived ever since. The farm has within its limits six excellent springs, and many other points of interest. There is a vein of copper crossing the land which is at present being worked by a Philadelphia company.
He is a Democrat in politics. Mr. Barlow has attended the Philadelphia market for thirty-one years. He married Miss Mary Christman, daughter of George Christman and Sarah (Doris) Christman, of Linfield, Montgomery county. George Christman was a boatman and a farmer for many years. He was a Democrat, and a member of the Reformed church. Mrs. George Christman died fifty-four years ago, and her husband ten years ago, of old age.
Mr. and Mrs. Joel Barlow had one son, Harvey Barlow, who married Elizabeth Shaffer, of Lower Pottsgrove township.
Harvey Barlow is engaged in the feed business at 79 Franklin street, Pottstown, where he has been established for many years. Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Barlow have one daughter, Evelyn.]
- Biographical Sketch of Johannes Laubaugh.
[Johannes Laubaugh was born in Holland, Aug 3, 1733. Of his early history little is known, but he became a sea-faring man, owned a vessel, and traded with China, The American colonies and England. having arrived at Philadelphia about the commencement of the Revolutionary war, he disposed of his ship and cargo and purchased a farm in Pikeland, Chester co. He brought over his family and made a second voyage to Holland to settle up some affairs. By his wife, Anna Catharine, he had 8 children - 1. John, m to Catharine Acker 2. Henry m. to Anne De Frain and Catharine March 3. Magdalena m. to Conrad Acker 4. Lewis, settled at New Philadelphia, Ohio 5. Margaret m to Conrad Keeley 6. Elizabeth m to John Christman 7. Catharine to Peter Stiteler 8. Mary m to William Sheldrake.
The parents were buried at the East Vincent Reformed Church, of which they were members. A number of articles, the remnants of the last cargo, are held by some of the descendants, consisting of pieces of china, glass and gold and silver coins.
JOHANNES LAUBAUGH (Oct. 28, 1728-Nov. 9, 1808), a weaver from Dorning, in the German state of Hesse, came to America about 1750 and married Anna Catharina Schumeny either shortly before or shortly after immigrating. She was born Aug. 3, 1733, and died June 18, 1798. They settled in Pikeland Township, Chester County, and attended Vincent Reformed Church. Their children were: Heinrich "Henry" Laubaugh (1753-1818, married Anna Maria DeFrain and Catherine March); Anna Maria Laubaugh (b.1756, married David Sentenreich and moved to Ohio); Anna Margaretha Laubaugh (1758-1834, married Conrad Keely; Catharine Laubaugh (1760-1818, married Peter Stiteler); Christina Laubaugh (b.1762, married John Emery); Elizabeth Laubaugh (b.1765, married John Christman); Johannes Laubaugh (1766-1823, married Catherine Acker); Magdalena Laubaugh (1768-1825, married Conrad Acker); Johann Ludwig "Lewis" Laubaugh (1771-1823, married Maria E. Clinger and moved to Ohio); and Rebecca Laubaugh (b.1774, died young).]
- Biographical Sketch of John B. Foresman Jr.
[This venerable man, now in his eighty-fourth year, who with firm step and unclouded mind still walks the streets of his home Village of Brook, and during a long and useful life in this section of Indiana witnessed almost its entire development and has borne a share in the course of its progress. His life has been replete with experience and achievement, and the persistent honor paid to a character of rigid honesty and integrity.
For more than forty years he has been a resident of Newton County. He was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, September 28, 1832, a son of Robert and Sarah (Baer) Foresman. His father was a native of Pennsylvania and of Irish descent and the mother was a native of Ohio. The latter died in Tippecanoe County, Indiana, while Robert Foresman died in Kansas and is buried at Mound Valley in Labette County. The mother was laid to
rest at Dayton in Tippecanoe County.
In November 1833, the Foresman family arrived in Tippecanoe County, first locating in Lafayette, but in the following year moving to Wild Cat Prairie. John B. Foresman grew to manhood in Tippecanoe County and he attended some of the most primitive of the pioneer schools in that section of the state. The first notable event and achievements of his career was in 1840, when he was eight years of age. He had been given a pig by
his father, and raised it carefully; and he exhibited the grown animal at the first agricultural show ever held in Tippecanoe County. The hog was awarded first prize and Mr. Foresman still cherishes the cup, which was given as a symbol of the award.
On April 5, 1915, Mr. and Mrs. Foresman celebrated the sixtieth anniversary of their wedding. At that time they were one of the oldest married couples living in the state, and hundreds of friends and well wishers are ready to congratulate them upon their sixty-first wedding anniversary. Mr. Foresman was married at Attica, Indiana, to Minerva C. Davis. The Davis family came from Vermont. To their union were born twelve children. William D., who lives in Oklahoma, married Ella Royal, and their two sons are Ray and Ivan. The second son, Frederick R., is now deceased. Sallie, the oldest daughter, died in childhood. Alice lives at home with her parents. Ida is the wife of E. E. Hess of Brook. Mary is Mrs. John Gwaltney and lives in California. Matilda is Mrs. Clarence Sunderland. Jeanette is the wife of John O. Sunderland. Fannie M. and Jessie both died young. John B. Foresman, Jr., has for years been in active business at Foresman, and by his marriage to May Lowe has two daughters named Leona and Grace. Frank, who lives in Oklahoma, married Mabel Welden, and their son is named John B. III.
When Mr. and Mrs. Foresman started housekeeping they looked into the future with courage and were not daunted by their present poverty. Mr. Foresman bought everything on credit, which he needed to begin housekeeping, and the subsequent accomplishment in material accumulations and in the rearing of a fine family of children entirely justifies the start he and his loyal wife made so many years ago. In 1872, Mr. Foresman moved from Tippecanqe County to Iroquois Township in Newton County and has since had his home in that township. In 1903 he retired from active business and he and his wife have since lived quietly retired in Brook. As a business he followed general farming and stock raising and at one time he had about 700 acres of land, but since has sold or given to his children considerable quantities and has now about 380 acres besides some town property.
In 1880, Mr. Foresman established the first tile factory in Newton County. The factory was on his farm, and he used most of the product at first, for tiling his own land. He was a pioneer in tiling and his efforts in that line at first excited considerable ridicule. During the years 1883 and 1885, he was unable to sell enough tile to justify the operation of his plant, and then a few years later his plant could not make enough to supply the demand. He continued manufacturing tile for some ten or twelve years. The little Village of Foresman, a station on the Chicago & Eastern Illinois Branch Railroad to La Crosse, was named in his honor, and he gave the right of way through his land. This road was originally built under the name Chicago & Great Southern. Mr. Foresman is one of the few original Republicans still living. He cast his first presidential ballot for John C. Fremont back in 1856. His father was a Whig. Mr. Foresman served as township trustee four years, from 1876 to 1880, inclusive, and during that time he made the first large levy for school purposes, the largest ever made in the county up to that time. During his term he increased the school year in his township from three to seven months, its present standard, erected three new schoolhouses, and reseated eight others. Mr. And Mrs. Foresman are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he helped toward building the church and at one time served as steward. He is a member of the Masonic Lodge at Brook, is a past master, and is said to be one of the oldest Masons in Indiana, having taken his first degree in the lodge at Dayton more than half a century ago.]
- Biographical Sketch of John Beerbower.
[John Beerbower was the father of Sarah Beerbower, wife of George Christman. He was born in Vincent township, Chester Co., Penn., March 10, 1779, and died in East Vincent township, October 20, 1858. He was a carpenter and farmer, and was many years a justice of the peace. He was commissioned, by Gov. Simon Snyder, as captain of a company of militia in the First Brigade of the Third Division of the counties of Chester and Delaware, on August 1, 1814, and served a tour of duty during the war of that time with Great Britain. His wife was Elizabeth Fertig, who was born July 20, 1784, and died March 29, 1828. They are buried at (Brownback's) First Reformed church of Coventry. This church was organized in 1743. Herman Bierbaner was the father of John Beerbower. He was born in Germany, July 16, 1741, came to America when a young man, died December 29, 1801, and is buried at the old Hill church, on the Ridge road, in East Pikeland township, Chester county. His tombstone is lettered in German. His wife was Christiana Hoffman. She was born October 7, 1747, and died February 7, 1826.]
- Biographical Sketch of John Brownback (Aug. 8, 1761-Dec. 16, 1838).
[JOHN BROWNBACK (Aug. 8, 1761-Dec. 16, 1838) was born in West Vincent and married Margaret DeFrain (Nov. 26, 1763-March 12, 1828), daughter of Peter DeFrain and Eve DeFrain. John was a colonel in a local militia regiment during the War of 1812.
According to family histories, John and Margaret had 10 children: Elizabeth Brownback (1795-1870), married George Christman; John Brownback (1797-1872), married Hannah Keeley; Henry Brownback (c.1798-1893), married Catharine Shuler; Sarah Brownback (c.1799-1881), married Henry Emery; Hannah Brownback (1800-1882), married George Ralston; Catharine Brownback (1802-1885), married Samuel Kimes; Rebecca Brownback (1804-1885), married Samuel Stauffer; William Brownback (1806-1890), married Eliza Wilson and Frances Burgoin; Jesse Brownback (1808-1887), married Sarah Keeley; and Mary "Polly" Brownback (1817-1895), married Wayne Emery.
I'm suspicious of this list, however. A 22-year birth career was not unusual in 18th-century Pennsylvania, but if Margaret's birth date is correct, she was past 30 when she began bearing children, and the birth of Mary in 1817, when Margaret was past 50, seems unlikely. The family histories that have been published begin to get muddled in this generation, specifically in confusing the many "John Brownbacks" who had proliferated in the Schuylkill Valley and tended to give their children the same set of names. Different accounts of this line give differing birthdates for many of these children. Some may belong to other Johns, or Margaret's birthdate may be in error.]
- Biographical Sketch of John Brownback (Jan. 2, 1797-May 28, 1872).
[JOHN BROWNBACK (Jan. 2, 1797-May 28, 1872). The year of his birth is sometimes given as 1800. The date of his death sometimes appears as June 2. John was born in West Vincent Township and lived in neighboring (Upper) Uwchlan Township. His farm there was at the crossing of modern Font and Milford roads. He married Hannah Keeley (1796-1859) on Sept. 6, 1821. They had five children: Oliver Davis Brownback (1821-1906), married Hannah Liggett in 1853; Malinda Margaret Brownback (1823-1898), married Jacob Acker (1818-1876) on Jan. 13, 1848; Holland Keely Brownback (1827-1899), married Margaret Fetters, daughter of John Fetters and Mary Sloyer Fetters, in 1864; Mary Magdaline Brownback (1830-1900), never married; and Rebecca Keely Brownback (1833-1917), married Abraham Fetters (1828-1893).]
- Biographical Sketch of John Bruce.
[JOHN BRUCE was born in 1788; came from western New York in 1837 to section 22, Darien, and also bought land in section 27, where he built a house which was temporarily an inn and also a postoffice He built a grand house at the station in 1858, and also added a few lots to the village plat as it was laid out in 1856. This addition lies between Beloit street and the railway, and the west end of the village. His first wife was Fear H. (1776-1832); second wife was named Cornelia (1822-1870). He died April 17, 1870, having outlived his wife by five weeks. His son James R. BRUCE built the first hotel in 1843 and died July 23, 1845, aged thirty-one years. His sister Lydia was wife of Cyrus LIPPITT, and his sister Susan was Mrs. William PHOENIX.]
- Biographical Sketch of John Buckwalter.
[JOHN BUCKWALTER, one of the enterprising and useful citizens residing in the vicinity of Kenilworth, is the eldest son and second child of William and Catherine (Lotshaw) Buckwalter, and was born in East Coventry township, Chester County, Pennsylvania, January 27, 1856.
The Buckwalter family in America was founded by Francis Buckwalter, a Protestant refugee from Germany who settled on the Manavon tract, at what is now Phoenixville in 1720. There he purchased six hundred and fifty acres of land from David Lloyd, the patentee, for one hundred and ninety-five pounds. His children were Joseph, Jacob, Johannes, Mary and Yost, and from them are descended the numerous Buckwalter family of this section. They have best families in Chester County, and among them have been a number who has distinguished themselves in various lines of activity, including stock raising, finance merchandising and official station. David Buckwalter, paternal great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born in Chester County, and passed his entire life within her borders, actively engaged in agriculture. He married a Miss Ziegler, by whom he had a family of seven children: John, Daniel, David, Samuel, Joseph, Jacob and Barbara. Samuel Buckwalter (grandfather), was born on the old Buckwalter farm near Phoenixville, this county, about 1782, and died in East Vincent Township in 1877, aged nearly ninety-five years. He was a wheelwright by trade, and in politics a, Whig and republican. For a, number of years he served as school director in his township, and was a member of the Mennonite church. He married Mary Johnson, and had a family of fourteen children: Samuel, Annie, David, Joseph, Jacob, William (father), Mary, Barbara, Samuel (2), Nathan, Seth and Sarah (twins), Benjamin and Lovina.
William Buckwalter (father) was born in Upper Providence Township, Montgomery County, this state, January 2, 1818, where he grew to manhood and received a common school education. He then learned the trade of carpenter, but has worked very little at that business, preferring agricultural pursuits. While yet a young man he removed to Chester county and has continued his residence here ever since, for the last ten years residing with his son in North Coventry Township. In politics he is a pronounced republican with Whig antecedents and in religion a strict adherent of the Mennonite church. On St. Valentine's Day, 1850, he was united in wedlock with Catherine Lotshaw, a daughter of Jacob Lotshaw, of East Pikeland Township. To this marriage was born a family of four children, three sons and one daughter: Annie, now the wife of Seneca Mowry, a, prosperous farmer of East Vincent township, by whom she has four children - Samuel Howard, William Ashley, Milton and Newton; John (subject); Theodore, who died in infancy, and Hiram, who wedded Elma Grubb, resides in East Vincent township, and has five children - Ada, William, Bessie, Russell and Annie. The mother, Mrs. Catherine Buckwalter, died in 1882, aged nearly fifty-seven years.
John Buckwalter was reared principally in this county, and received his education in the public schools of East Coventry Township. After attaining manhood he began life on his own account as a, farmer and has followed that vocation all his life, meeting with good success and accumulating some property. In his political affiliations he is a republican, and in 1892 was elected to the -office of school director. Religiously he is a Dunkard, or German Baptist, and has long been an active and useful member of that denomination. On December 13, 1879, Mr. Buckwalter was married to Ella Prizer, a daughter of Harmon Prizer, of East Coventry township, and the fruit of their union has been two children: Clifton, born September 28, 1880 ; and Wilmer, born November 22, 1885.]
- Biographical Sketch of John C. Chrisman.
[A citizen of Tracy whose worth has been recognized in that he was elected secretary of the West Side Irrigation District, is John C. Chrisman. His father, John Chrisman, crossed the plains with an ox team in 1859, from Mt. Carroll, Ill., and settled in French Camp. In 1869 he removed to Tracy, San Joaquin County and here John C. was born on November 5, 1878.
John C. as a lad received his schooling in Tracy, and many were the days spent in the wheat field. In 1900 he was appointed to a clerical position at the-County Hospital, where he remained for three years; he then entered the employ of the Santa Fe Railroad in the same capacity and remained with them until 1907, when he removed to Oakland and became clerk of the store department of the Southern Pacific Railroad and occupied that position for the next three years. He then entered the Dixon Business College in Oakland and upon the completion of the course went to Stockton and entered the Stockton Business and Normal College, taking the normal course, from which he was later graduated. He then followed teaching and was principal of the grammar schools at Live Oak, Linden, Ripon and Tracy.
In Stockton on December 29, 1908, occurred the marriage of Mr. Chrisman and Miss Leona A. Patton, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Patton, honored pioneers of San Joaquin County. They are the parents of two children, Robert P. and Greta. The family returned to Tracy in 1915, and two years later Mr. Chrisman was elected to the office of secretary of the West Side Irrigation District, which position has received his undivided attention. Fraternally, he is a past grand of Sumner Lodge of Odd Fellows, and past Patriarch of Tracy Encampment, and at the present time is historian and publicity manager of this organization. Mr. Chrisman has frequently contributed to the newspapers of the county articles on local institutions, which have been well received. Republican in politics, he has always given his time and means to the advancement of the principles of that party. He and his family are associated with the First Presbyterian Church of Tracy, and since the retirement of his father, John Chrisman, from the board of trustees, he has taken his place. His property interests are at Linden in the eastern portion of the county and are growing more valuable each year. During the war Mr. Chrisman was deputy food administrator for the West Side.]
- Biographical Sketch of John Chrisman.
[John Chrisman is numbered among the prominent citizens and representative farmers of San Joaquin county, where he has lived since this was a wild frontier region, giving little promise of development and improvement which were so soon to transform it and which in the course of years would make it one of the best districts of the great commonwealth. John Chrisman resides near Tracy, where he owns a good ranch of two hundred acres under a high state of cultivation. He came to California in 1859 and resided in Santa Clara county until 1867, when he removed to San Joaquin county and took up his abode upon the farm which is now his home.
He was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, on the 30th of September, 1831, and is a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Yeager) chrisman, both of whom were natives of Chester county, Pennsylvania. In the paternal line he is of German lineage, the family having been founded in the Keystone state at an early day by ancestors who came from the fatherland. The subject of this review was reared in the county of his nativity and acquired his early education in the public schools. He afterward attended private schools and was later graduated in the Phoenix Classical Institute at Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, where he completed a course of study at the age of twenty years. When not occupied by the duties of the schoolroom and the pleasures of the playground he devoted his energies to farm work, assisting in the development of the fields from the time of early spring planting until after crops were harvested in the late autumn. Before leaving Pennsylvania he was engaged for a short time in teaching school and proved a capable educator, imparting clearly and readily to others the knowledge that he had acquired.
In 1859 he left the Keystone state, having determined to try his fortune in California, of whose favorable opportunities he had received many excellent reports. Accordingly he made the journey across the plains with an ox team in company with H. W. Briggs and many others. They traveled westward to Illinois and thence made arrangements to continue their journey, which required six and a half months from the time they left Illinois until they reached Stockton, California. The trip across the plains was a very arduous and tedious one and was fraught with considerable danger, because the Indians were liable to attack the emigrants at any time. Mr. Chrisman has seen much pioneer life and has done considerable pioneer work, especially along the line of reclaiming wild lands and transforming it into valuable farming property. Upon reaching California he located first in Santa Clara county, where he remained until 1867, when he removed to San Joaquin county and took up his abode upon the ranch which has since been his home, covering a period of thirty-seven years. He entered one hundred and sixty acres of land from the government and was the first permanent settler upon this tract, which he has developed from a primitive condition to one of rich fertility. He subsequently purchased forty additional acres so that his present farm comprises two hundred acres of land. In 1866 Mr. Chrisman was united in marriage to Miss Ruth A. Hobson, a native of Kansas, and to them were born two children, but only one is now living: Ruth A., who is the wife of P. McCaskill, of Oakland, California. In 1873 Mr. Chrisman was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Savilla L. Hatfield, the widow of Theodore Hatfield, of San Joaquin county, and a daughter of Charles Needham, of DeKalb county, Ilinois, his ancestors being of old New England stock. By this union there is one son, John Chester, who is now in Oakland, California.
Politically Mr. Chrisman is a Republican, well informed on the questions and issues of the day and giving earnest support to the party. Some years ago he was a candidate on the Republican ticket for county supervisor of San Joaquin from the fifth district, but was defeated by a vote of twenty, his opponent being Levi H. Nicewonger. He has for a number of years served as a trustee of the Valley school district. In community interests he is active and influential and has been the champion of many measures which have contributed to public progress and improvement.]
- Biographical Sketch of John Chrisman - 2.
[Born in Pennsylvania September 30, 1831, the late John Chrisman went through the public schools of the day and then attended a private school, the Phoenixville Classical Institute, taking a mathematical and civil engineering course. He was the son of Henry and Elizabeth (Yeager) Chrisman, both natives of Pennsylvania, the old homestead being located within a few miles of historic Valley Forge, and Grandfather Chrisman, a soldier in the Continental Army, was with Washington at Valley Forge.
At the age of twenty-two, John Chrisman emigrated to Illinois where he resided four years, when he visited his old home in Pennsylvania and then returned to Illinois where he was to join an immigrant train for California. In the spring of 1859 they left for Mt. Carroll, Ill., for California, seven wagons drawn by oxen comprising the train as it drew out of Mt. Carroll; among the party were the following, all of whom are now deceased: Cyrus Needham, James Fields, Judge Briggs of San Jose, William Firmin, and others. Judge Briggs served as captain of the party and John Chrisman was chosen first lieutenant. The party originally started for Pike's Peak, Colo., but after leaving Platte River, they encountered a wagon train of emigrants on their return to the East and from them they learned that gold was not to be found in sufficient quantities to warrant settling there, so the party headed toward Carson Sink, and after six months and a half the train drew into what is now French Camp in September, 1859. Mr. Chrisman and a friend by the name of Rapp went to Knights Ferry where they worked with their five yoke of oxen. Later they worked for McHenry and Brewster further down on the Stanislaus, hauling material into the mountains. Then they rented land on the Stanislaus and for two years raised corn. From the Stanislaus Mr. Chrisman transferred his activities to San Jose and for seven years farmed near Alum Rock, this during the Civil War days. He joined the regular state militia and was first lieutenant of Company E, Fifth Cavalry. In the fall of 1867 with Cyrus and Charles Needham he moved to this section, and bought 200 acres just east of town, now known as the P.P. Schmidt place, on which he erected a small house, hauling the lumber from San Jose. In those days there was nothing better than a trail, and no towns between Livermore and Stockton.
Mr. Chrisman was always a stanch Republican, and a great admirer of President Lincoln, voting for him in 1860 and in 1864, and in politics was numbered among the leaders in San Joaquin County. For years he was a member of the Republican County Central Committee, and a school trustee of the Banta district, and after the change in district boundaries, was for many years trustee of Willow district which later became the Tracy district. He was a pillar in the Presbyterian Church, was active in establishing the present church in Tracy and for years was a member of its board of trustees. When old age necessitated his retirement he presented his resignation, but instead of accepting it the trustees made him an honorary member for life.
Mr. Chrisman was united in marriage in Santa Clara with Miss Ruth A. Hobson, and they were the parents of two children, Ruth A. and Elizabeth L. She passed away in 1869 and in 1873 he was married to Mrs. Savilla L. (Needham) Hatfield, a sister of Cyrus Needham, a member of the party crossing the plains with Mr. Chrisman, and one son, John C., was born to this union. Mrs. Chrisman was born in Vermont in 1846 and accompanied her parents to Illinois in 1852. Coming to California in 1869, she rode on the first train of the Central Pacific to traverse the western division into the San Joaquin County. On September 30, 1921, Mr. Chrisman was honored by his fellow-citizens upon the occasion of his ninetieth anniversary, taking him by surprise and remembering him kindly with presents and other marks of their respect. His death occurred May 23, 1922. Mrs. Christmas continues to live at the old home in Tracy.]